1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

hysteroscopy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by inky, Mar 24, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Any tips about how you feel afterwards?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry - I should hae done a search before starting a topic.

3. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Ooh, don't say that - I had mine under general anaesthetic and nobody suggested I was a light weight or I'd have decked them!
    I had a bit of light bleeding afterwards and took the diclofenac just once before I went to bed and felt OK. When the Consultant told me that they'd 'dug around a lot to make sure they got samples from absolutely everywhere' for biopsy, I was certainly glad that I'd been asleep throughout.
    Hope it goes well for you inky!

4. Inky, don't worry about that, lots of people smoke, lots of people drink, they must come across it all the time.
    I had a hysteroscopy last April at it was fine. I had some cramping for about half an hour when I woke up from the anaesthetic but nothing after that.
    I went in in the morning and home in the afternoon feeling as if nothing had happened. Was very tired the next day, probably from the anaesthetic, so just rested but really it was fine and it was such a relief to know everything was OK.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I had one 7 years ago, under general anaesthetic and felt great afterwards, no issues at all.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

hysteroscopy

8. I had a hysteroscopy not too long ago following a post menopausal bleed. Mine was done under general anaesthetic. They took away a polyp and I had a small bleed afterwards and some slight period like discomfort but these didn't last for long and I didn't need any pain killers.The process very straightforward and much less of an ordeal than I expected. I went in at lunchtime and went home at tea time. I then enjoyed the longest and best sleep I had had for months! Followed by 2 more days off work as instructed by the hospital. Sorry to hear about all the other stuff you are going through.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thanks fretless and everybody else. You've really cheered me up. The mention of competency worries me less now that I can see that the boss was thinking about physical things -imagine how mortified I was to think otherwise!

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

There's a little polyp and a bit of thickening of the uterine wall. It's not a good sign in post-menopausal women but I don't want to be pessimistic.
    I'm trying to feel upbeat but I'm actually a bit miserable at the moment. It'll pass.
    Mr inky is taking me to our local Italian for dinner and

11. Is that from the pelvic scan Inky?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

I had a transvaginal scan and a cervical examination. There's a little polyp and an area of thickened endometrial lining. Because I'm well past menopause, this is being viewed as suspicious, so I'm not out of the woods yet. I've got to have a hysteroscopy pronto and apparently the view is that it's cancer until proven otherwise. I'm staying optimistic but, well, I've been a bit weepy-feeling today, though I haven't actually given way to tears. Dreading work on Monday.

13. I think they treat all uterine thickening in post-menopausal women, as potential malignancy, until proved otherwise, which in some ways is a good thing. They have seen a polyp so the chances are the original bleed was related to that. The uterine lining, can vary in thickness, so what may appear to be thickening in someone, may be normal in someone else.
    I know you probably know all that anyway, and I know that the only way you will be reassured is when they the hysteroscopy and biopsy and it comes back clear.
    I also know there is little point in trying to tell you not to worry, as you will. I just hope that knowing that there are people here thinking of you and hoping and praying for you, will bring you some comfort.
    I hope you get a date soon for your hysteroscopy.
    I am sure you know that if you really can't face work, you really don't have to go.
    Take care xx

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you, doglover. I appreciate your kindness.
    If I take time off work I'll be in real trouble, and there are only three days to go.