1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hysterics!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Dec 6, 2009.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Getting a bit twitchy now -first lesson is this afternoon [​IMG]

2. Don't worry about it... it's really easy, as long as you relax. [​IMG]

3. Oh good luck.
    I used to dread my driving lessons. I had three goes at 'learning' but stopped each time for various reasons. When I finally decided I ought to be a driver I was in my thirties. I passed my test after the third attempt, but being able to drive really changed my life.
    (I can't quite believe that I used to go into town on the bus with two babies, a double buggy and a toddler in tow....I walked everywhere...miles and miles...pushing said double buggy before I could drive....My **** has spread considerably since then...and my general fitness just isn't so good. Two of the downsides of being a driver...and don't get me started on the cost of being a motorist...!)

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, when you don't drive, you do get a bit heroic about getting about, don't you? Especially with little children and shopping etc.

There's something uneasy about being self-powered, though. I've never learned to ride a bike nor skateboard etc. Not sure if I'll get the hang of controlling a vehicle - it all seems a bit flight simulator-like, if you know what I mean? I know that sounds silly, but the responsibility of moving a great chunk of metal on wheels is scaryyyyyy!

5. Oh you'll be fine...eventually.
    I remember my lessons...I just didn't seem to be able to coordinate anything.
    The driving instructor expected me to take one hand off the wheel to change gear, move my feet to different pedals and turn a corner at the same time.... and he told me to keep looking at the road !!!! What? Silly man! ;-)
    We are all the same when we are learning. It takes a while, (a long while in my case!) but becomes second nature before long.

6. I started to learn in my first year of uni but couldn't carry on because of my teaching placements. I started learning again yesterday (I'm 28) and it was scary but fantastic!!! Just listen carefully and take it slowly! You'll be great! x

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Your experience mirrors mine, AE. I started lessons twice - both times abandoned, once because I needed the money to travel down to be with my terminally ill friend as often as possible and the second time because the instructor was arrested(!!!).
    I finally booked one of those intensive weeks - 25 hours in one week. I came home the first two days completely wrung out and exhausted. It took that course and a 2 hour lesson every week for 5 months before I passed my test the 3rd time.
    I did all the travelling on public transport with babies and shopping thing too.
    ...and I spent years getting lost trying to drive to various places before I finally got a sat nav earlier this year.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It's good to read the above - feeling as though I'm the only person not to have learned to drive in their teens and so good to know that lots of us have postponed it and still done it in the end.

9. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I was 27 when I learned to drive, and I really think it was an advantage. I think I had mopre patience than when I was 17.
    I don't miss trying to do the Tesco shop on the bus with a baby and a toddler. God knows how I did it. Although the weight gain since driving is a definite downside...
    Good luck giraffe - you'll learn to enjoy it [​IMG]

10. Good luck. I persuaded my Mum to learn to drive again at the age of 47. She passed first time. We didn't see much of her after that - she was off out!

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a superior male who passed both his motor cycle and car test first time, after only 8 lessons, i do commiserate with all of you who suffer nervesousnes and fear........but in the end you can say..I did it my way....
    the essence of life is not the arrival but the journey to the destination.
    At least you have lessons, which is more than i think has happened to some of the driver in London around me..if they did it wasnt on British roads!

12. Yeah yeah! Men!

I took a 'crash course' at the age of 30.
    That was the grand total of 22 hours in the drivers seat and then off for my test!
    Passed first time, with only 2 minors to marr the sheet.

I loved the whole experience and still do wonder in amazement that now I am zooming around in a Z3 and can go absolutely anywhere I want to... all on my own!

It's great. But I waited until I really felt the need to drive, rather than just taking my test cos I was old enough!

13. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Going to switch off now and get ready....
    ...where did I put aht paper licence?

14. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

She won't be laughing at you when she wants a lift home from somewhere at silly o'clock.
    Good luck

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Thanks for the encouragement
    Just about to leave now, so thought I'd say final goodbyes, etc..

Anyone got a parachute?

16. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

950times? And that is just the theory test!

Mine went very well - lovely instructor.
    I have very well controlled feet, apparently [​IMG]

18. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Well done again

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Ummmmmm....I left my teens behind nearly 30 years ago - and I don't drive!
    Noone is mad enough to let me loose behind any kind of vehicle...I was banned from riding a bike at 12 (my younger sister decoded to teach me to ride....biiiiiiig mistake!)....anything motor-powered is a most definite NO!

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I've never ridden a bike or anything like that - only horses, and they know how to stop themselves without crashing if you omit to brake.
    This instructor inspires confidence
    Aiming to be able to drive by the summer - could visit family.
    (Still a public transport supporter, but the bus doesn't go to where I need to get)