1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hysterectomy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lucyrose50, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I'm looking for comments from anyone who has had a hysterectomy (or anyone who was advised to have one and chose not to). I'm 32 and I have several large fibroids which have been causing me some problems - I've known about the fibroids for years but they've never been an issue until this year. I have an appointment with a gynaecologist next week but my GP forewarned me that it's highly likely they'll recommend I have a hysterectomy and I'd like to get my head around it before my appointment so I can ask sensible questions.
    I'm obviously very young to have a hysterectomy - I haven't had any children but neither I nor my partner have ever wanted them so that isn't an issue. My main concerns are that I'll be plunged into an early menopause with all the problems that come with that, although I know it depends whether I have a full hysterectomy or whether my ovaries get left in there (I also have polycystic ovary syndrome and crazy hormones, so it wouldn't surprise me if they want to just take everything out).
    If you've had a hysterectomy, do you have anything you wish you'd known/asked before you had it? How long were you out of action after it? Do you feel better now than before, or has it caused you other health problems? If you were advised to have a hysterectomy and didn't, what made you make that decision and are you glad you didn't have it?
    Thanks for any advice/help/comments you can offer!

2. lucyrose50

I'm looking for comments from anyone who has had a hysterectomy (or anyone who was advised to have one and chose not to). I'm 32 and I have several large fibroids which have been causing me some problems - I've known about the fibroids for years but they've never been an issue until this year. I have an appointment with a gynaecologist next week but my GP forewarned me that it's highly likely they'll recommend I have a hysterectomy and I'd like to get my head around it before my appointment so I can ask sensible questions.
    I'm obviously very young to have a hysterectomy - I haven't had any children but neither I nor my partner have ever wanted them so that isn't an issue. My main concerns are that I'll be plunged into an early menopause with all the problems that come with that, although I know it depends whether I have a full hysterectomy or whether my ovaries get left in there (I also have polycystic ovary syndrome and crazy hormones, so it wouldn't surprise me if they want to just take everything out).
    If you've had a hysterectomy, do you have anything you wish you'd known/asked before you had it? How long were you out of action after it? Do you feel better now than before, or has it caused you other health problems? If you were advised to have a hysterectomy and didn't, what made you make that decision and are you glad you didn't have it?
    Thanks for any advice/help/comments you can offer!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hysterectomy is highly unlikely to be suggested as a first line of treatment and I'm a bit surprised that your GP has suggested that it will.
    However, I've had a hysterectomy (I was 38 but I'd had my children) and it was the best thing I've ever had done! Ten years before the hysterectomy, though, I had a large ovarian cyst removed and at the time of removal they weren't sure exactly what it was - apart from the fact that it was large and was most likely either a large fibroid or cyst.

4. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I had a hysterectomy in June last year, aged 51. I had several fibroids, including one enormous one that I called Fenella (felt she was large enough to warrant a name). I had known I had them for years, but never had any trouble until December 2010 when I suddenly found myself in hospital having a blood transfusion after feeling very unwell. Initially, they thought it might be cancer, so I had various tests, MRI etc and worried myself silly over Christmas and New Year, and when they decided it probably wasn't, but still advised me to 'have it all taken away' I was only too delighted to agree.
    The op itself was very straightforward and my recovery went smoothly, although you have to remember that, even today, it is still major surgery, so you do really have to take things easy. I had 6 weeks off work, which took me to the summer holidays and I would definitely recommend that, as it gave me loads of time to recover fully before going back to work. I was worried about the sudden plunging into meopause but, apart from a few 'warm moments' during the first month, I have to say (touch wood) that I haven't really suffered at all, although I might be the exception, rather than the rule. I have switched to soya milk and followed some dietary advice about the menopause, but I have no idea if that makes a difference.
    I joined a website forum http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/forums/ and found the ladies there very friendly and helpful (they have fb groups I am still a member of) but I know some people prefer to keep to themselves. personally, I found it useful to 'chat' to people going through the same as me and I could ask all the questions I couldn't ask anyone in the real world.
    I went on holiday in August, bought my first-ever pair of white jeans and had a fantastic time!
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. lucyrose50

From what I understand from my GP and the research I've done, the various other methods of dealing with fibroids would either only be short term or would not be suitable for me personally given the size & location of my fibroids, but I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. I know hysterectomy is the most drastic thing that's likely to be suggested so I just want to know a bit more about it before my gynae appointment. My mum had a hysterectomy due to fibroids but that was about 13 years ago so things have obviously changed since then, and I don't know anyone else who has had one recently (or not that they're admitting to, anyway!) for me to ask.
    I'll check out that website, it sounds like just the thing that would help. Thanks both of you for your comments.

6. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago for huge fibroids. It was the best thing I ever did. Although my fibroids were huge - my womb was distended up to my rib cage (ouch!) - my very skilled surgeon managed to do keyhole surgery and left my ovaries intact so I will go into menopause naturally. Recovery was a breeze and I was pretty much back to normal after 2 weeks.

I second the suggestion for the hysterectomy website, great site, great supportive forum.

7. lucyrose50

Thanks for the comment - it's encouraging to hear you had keyhole surgery, I thought that wasn't possible for fibroids over about 8cm (my largest ones are between 7-9cm) so I didn't think it would be a possibility for me. My fibroids are outside the uterus wall so my womb shouldn't be particularly distended, but one of them is helpfully sitting on my bladder and making me need a wee all the time, and another is behind my uterus and pressing on some nerves that make my back and hip hurt, so I'm hoping to be rid of them in one way or another fairly soon!

8. My largest was more than 20cm - they chop em up in situ and suck them out - if that isn't too graphic so it shouldn't matter what size although I was very lucky with my surgeon I know that many aren't so keen to do laproscopic surgery. I was also given a drug implant in my tummy 3 months prior to the op to shrink them too. All my back and bladder problems disappeared immediately after surgery.

Might be worth checking what waiting times are like in your area. I ended up waiting 20 weeks for my op, that was definitely the worst part.

9. Hi Im currently in the same position as you, 36 and have a womb full of fibroids 4 of which are nearly 10cm!!! I am currently waiting for my operation date and thats the worst part I think...I just to know when Im going to feel better. They are going to try keyhole and cut just below my rib cage but they think i will have full surgery. My concern is my recovery time, I am a yr2 teacher and have a fab class... will I be back for the end of the yr? Some posts have suggested 3 months off work! Has anyone had a similar expereince?

10. I had a hysterectomy at 47 and I tried other treatments that didn't work first. I wish I had done it sooner. I always had heavy blood loss, lots of pain and was lacking iron. My health improved immensely afterwards. I had the op the end of June and was back at work for the beginning of term in September. It turned out that I had endometriosis as well as fibroids so the op took longer than usual. It felt like choosing from a menu of options - I chose leave in ovaries and remove cervix. How good was it to never have to have a smear test again!