1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

hypothetical question

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Faldamir12, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    If a pupil posts something on a social networking site about his/her teacher and the comments could potentially be career damaging, where does the teacher stand should he/she wish to take further action against said pupil?

Thanks.

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

This is cyber bullying and the teacher should report the matter both within the school and to his/her union.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

There have been lots of reports in the media of authorities taking similar FB comments very seriously, e.g http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/295007-high-school-pupils-posted-racist-comments-about-their-teacher-on-facebook/

I would definitely report it to HT and Union - ensuring both log it. Print out comments too so you have copies to give to HT. If this fails to nip such comments in the bud, talk to police.

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Yes. It could amount to harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act.

5. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

It always surprises me how many school staff don't have the highest security settings on their Facebook profiles, knowing how easily things can be taken out of context or written when overtired/drunk/ stressed/ highly medicated ( an excuse that I 've heard for some shocking things being posted!).

Also I'd presume pictures of teachers drunk on Facebook are surprisingly quickly circulated.

Best thing to do? Don't use Facebook, or at least have the common sense to be really careful who sees it and what is written....

6. One school I worked in, the H/T made it a rule that staff could not use/be on FB. It did not matter to me but I often wondered how it impacted on other folk.

7. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Bit draconian! Why don't people use common sense and just ensure your privacy settings are set to 'Friends only!' As a jobseeker in teaching it annoys me greatly when you have these unprofessional teachers uploading drunken pictures for all the world to see yet I behave and cant get a job? GRRRRRR!

PS:- I love the way this post has turned on its head from a students posting something to almost a tacit assumption that the teacher has done something wrong?!