1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical question?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by picsgirl, Jun 2, 2012.

1. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I've applied for a job and waiting to hear if I get an interview.

A few days ago the school where I'm a temp in advised there will be a TA job in Sept for one year. They have to advertise externally and the interview date would be after the job I've already applied for.

Mr Picsgirl asked me if I was offered the 1st job and accepted (yes this is purely hypothetical as I haven't been offered any interviews) , then got an interview & an offer with the 2nd job, how would this stand?

The 2nd job would be my first choice, but would changing my mind about the 1st job burn bridges - if I'm looking for a job in the future?

has this happened to anyone?

Just curious.

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi, the rule usually is once accepted then there is no going back. The only thing you could do is tell your present school ( I take it this is the one you are at now ) your predicament, by the way, schools do not have to advertise for Ta jobs they can be given internally without the need for advertising, some schools will advertise anyway even if they think they will be giving the job to an internal candidate, it's a tick box thing so to speak, it shows that they have tried to show equal ops.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I did this last year, got the 1st job, accepted, then offered one at school, so after considerable thought phoned the 1st and apologised that due ro unforseen circumstances I would nor be able to take the post after all. Burning bridges may happen. depends on the headteacher, but if they are decent they will not hold it against you and if they do, would you want to work for somone who wouldnt give you a second chance? I dont regret it now, felt bad at the time though! Do whats best for you.