1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical interview situation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by donna1107, Mar 16, 2011.

1. hi all
    this is just a potential situation that i could find myself in, and was looking for advice. Im currently an NQT, and for a number of reasons, am having to look for another job from september. Saw a school last week which i really liked. Saw a school today, which was alright, but prefer school A. Have applied to both, as cant really b too picky, but got the problem of the interview for school B being before that for school A. the only thing really putting me off school B is the age of the teaching staff. they're all 30+ and married, whereas some of the staff for school A are more my age, I know its a really silly reason, but im almost tempted not to go for school B because of it, yet i know that permanent jobs are hard to come by so id b stupid to dismiss it!!
    Advice please

2. I'm easily the youngest member of staff at my school, currently, and it hasn't had an effect on how much I enjoy the job at all. Having older members of staff who've been around the block is a tremendous resource to draw upon, and they're still as capable of having a laugh as anyone my own age.
    Obviously, it's down to your own personal preference, and the individual staff in question, but pure age difference shouldn't affect your decision at all in my humble opinion.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I've always enjoyed working in schools where there is a variety of ages and experience in my colleagues. (and I've always aimed to pinch as many of their great ideas as possible)
    It's your life, but if I were you, I wouldn't let the age/life stage of the other staff come into at all.
    And you might be surprised that the old codgers in their thrities actually have senses of humour too [​IMG].

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I feel old ...... [​IMG]

5. karentee

karentee New commenter

In my first interview as an NQT i was asked how I would feel working at the school as I was significantly younger than the rest of the staff, I said I didn't mind, and to some extent I didn't although I quite often felt it as they were all so much more experienced than me. I think it's certainly something to consider and to be aware of but not enough of an issue to not accept a job on it's basis. Some schools have a high turn over of staff, you don't know if this time next year a teacher might leave and a younger one comes in their place

6. if i were offered an interview, do you think it would be ok to ask to view the school again? ive been sitting here all evening thinking it over, and im just not sure. I really like the other school, and not sure if i want to miss the chance of that one!!!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you get an interview a tour round is usually included.

8. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Everyone needs to do what makes them happy, but if I were in your shoes and thought school B was good, just not as good as the 'ideal' school A, I would definitely still apply. You may well be better in interview than me (wouldn't be too tricky!) but you might well have to go to afew before you get a post, so it could be a shame to rule out somewhere you seem to think is ok. If it is purely the age, I really wouldn't worry overly. I get that you might prefer to have colleagues of a similar age, but think it would be a bit risky to lose another opportunity due to this. You will be 30 yourself before you know it (heh heh)!

9. its not just the age thing. I think im almost looking for excuses. I keep mulling it over! the fact that there's no ICT room is also playing on my mind, and the staff room looked really uninviting. But can i afford to not go for school B, just in case i dont even get an interview at school A?
    I keep thinking that perhaps this side of easter i can afford to be fussy.
    Ive also got the dilemma of where to live. I live close to school B, school A would mean moving, but would mean living closer to friends and family again (i moved for my current job)
    I just cant make up my mind of what to do. I know that in my heart i prefer school A, but in my head i know id be stupid to refuse a job!!! Why cant life be simple, and allow us to turn a job down after accepting it!!!!!

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

If you really don't want to work there, then don't apply. Otherwise, apply for everything, and don't assume an interview. I hope you find the place that's right for you.