1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hypocrisy again

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jonntyboy, Jun 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I wondered if the BBC and the woke/hard left would be criticizing this Labour virtue signaller as they did with Dominic Cummings?

But I didn't wonder for long - the answer is of course no.

Maybe Good Old Keir will sack him, though, as he wanted Boris to do with Dom Cummings. ;)

Kandahar and lexus300 like this.
  2. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

He's not a member of the shadow cabinet so what would Starmer be sacking him from?

monicabilongame and Morninglover like this.
  3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

As an Labour MP, of course. But my words were woolly, I apologise. At least remove the whip or ask for deselection.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

What has he just said that was dangerous?

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Paul Joseph Watson (born 24 May 1982)[1] is an English YouTube personality, radio host, writer and conspiracy theorist.[3][4][5][6] He has been described as 'alt-right' and 'far-right' by multiple sources.[6][7][8][9][10][11] Although as late as July 2016 he called himself alt-right, he no longer accepts that label and considers himself part of the 'New Right'.[12]

Watson's career emerged through his work for conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones. As editor-at-large of Jones' website InfoWars he helped promote fake news[13] and advocated conspiracy theories such as the claim 9/11 was a government cover-up, the chemtrail conspiracy theory, and the New World Order.[1] Subsequently, reaching a significant audience, both Watson and Jones altered their focus. Presently their commentary is mainly focused on criticizing feminism, Islam, and left-wing politics.[14] Watson also contributes to InfoWars's talk radio program The Alex Jones Show, where he occasionally either hosts or co-hosts. Watson has been working on InfoWars since October 2002.[15]

In May 2019, Facebook barred Watson and other users considered "extremist" from using its Facebook and Instagram services.[17][18]

These are people who think the Sandy Hook school massacre is a hoax. For teachers to be pushing this stuff is reprehensible, and probably flouts Ts and Cs here. He is after all banned from Facebook and Instagram for posting "extremist" material. Probably not what TES want on their pages.

7eleven, chelsea2, knitone and 6 others like this.
  6. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Sadly I have a met a few in schools that shouldn't be. One ex neo-nazi (at least he was ex but he still had the swastikas), a couple of fundy christians who hated gay people, plenty of greasy pole climbers who didn't give a hoot about the kids, plenty of ignorant people that were a drag on education and one guy who was prosecuted and banned for inappropriate behaviour. Every job has people in it that shouldn't be, I don't think Jonty would stand out particularly.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Still not answered my question. The above is deflection, big time.

Kandahar likes this.
  8. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Yep, that's extreme. Unfortunately since Jonty is a pseudonym and we have no means of informing his employer about his posting unsavoury material, there's not a lot to be done.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

There are plenty of posters on here who post unsavoury comments;););)

Kandahar likes this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Getting back to Gardiner, he is quoted on ITV as also trying to deflect the action taken to the fight racism cause:

I know I had an obligation to set an example. The rules are important in overcoming this epidemic and I do not want my action to undermine people’s willingness to maintain social distancing.

The anger generated by my breach of the social distancing rules must not be allowed to detract from the vital message that Black Lives Matter and that we all have an obligation to fight racism.

– BARRY GARDINER MP, LABOUR, BRENT NORTH

11. Scintillant

I doubt he's a teacher. Probably only here to start slipping in this sort of material.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Yep. Get rid of him. Get rid of Cummings too.

13. Scintillant

I'm not giving anything to Mr Watson's opinions other than complete contempt. He's a proper wrong 'un.

14. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Sorry - have I posted anything I shouldn't have posted? I could have missed something in one of the clips. Let me know where and why it's inappropriate and I'll ask the mods to remove it immediately.

Kandahar likes this.
  15. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Of course they do and of course we do.

But there is no need to virtue signal about it by joining in an anarchist rally in the middle of a pandemic when we should all be social-distancing in order to make that point, especially when you have spent the past few weeks baying for someone else's blood for doing a far less risky thing for a very reasonable reason.

lexus300, Kandahar and dumpty like this.
  16. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

I had trouble getting to sleep last night - I'll have this video ready in case I struggle again tonight ...

LiamD likes this.
  17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Probably best not have Cummings on your mind 24/7

18. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

If you have trouble sleeping, watch this and think.

Was Jimmy involved?

19. rararasputin

Unlike many who post on here regularly, I am currently a teacher so worrying about work was more of an issue.

20. rararasputin

I am very excited about the fact that I can buy a Jeff Taylor cushion, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.