1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hypnosis

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by polly.glot, Sep 20, 2020.

1. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I have long suffered from MH issues, largely owing to my awful mother and traumatic childhood. Yesterday I had a session with a wonderful counsellor, who hypnotised me. I have completely lost my memory of the 4 hours of driving there, the session, and the return home. I had a strange night, slept deeply but I was conscious of lots turmoil going on in my head. I could not remember what day it was and what was going on. I also woke feeling as if I had run a marathon. My partner phoned her last night as he was worried about the fact that I didn't know where I was, where I'd been, where my bedroom was...she called me this morning and told me that I had shared some truly terrible things about my abusive mother and other things and that the memory loss, though unusually profound, was not unusual in itself. I have slept about 18 of the last 24 hours, and feel nauseous. Please can anyone share their experiences of hypnotism, whether the effects were similar, and whether it was helpful in the long run. I would be very appreciative of anecdotes from similarly afflicted people. Thank you so much.

2. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

Hi Polly. I became clinically depressed after my husband and dad died within a month of each other 11 years ago. I went to counselling and had hypnosis to help me sleep. The first session opened a can of worms and I couldn't stop crying for 3 days. I ended up having about 10 sessions and I am so glad I kept going. I still use self hypnosis whenever I start to feel overwhelmed with things. I think communication is key. I explained that I had found the first session too much... we took it more slowly after that. I wish you all the best and hope you find a way to feeling better x

polly.glot likes this.
  3. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Acky - thank you SO much for your response. You had such a terrible time, you poor love. I've had two more sessions, and gentler these times, though during the second one, I started to sweat profusely, and then was violently sick. Now, however, I definitely feel the benefit - coping better with anxiety and other people's anger. Still a long way to go, but the self-hypnosis is a great help. Thank you again, and I do hope that things are looking up for you. Take care x

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I can't speak from personal experience, but one of my closest friends decide to try hypnosis to help her with some long term deep-rooted personal issues. She a similar experience - she remembered driving there and going in to meet the practitioner, but had no memory at all of the session or the drive home. She also slept very heavily and felt 'strange' for a few days. She had four sessions in all and found that, while she didn't remember everything from any of them, the feelings were not as intense or profound as after the first one. Overall, she found the experience helpful and beneficial. Very best wishes @polly.glot.

polly.glot likes this.
  5. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Thank you for that, Sunny. So reassuring to know that others have had the same experience.