1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hyper-mobility Syndrome, PGCE, Fitness to teach. Please help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by POPma22, Sep 4, 2020.

1. POPma22

POPma22 New commenter

Hi,
    I am very concerned about an issue regarding fitness to teach and hoping someone on here can give me some advice.
    I am due to start a PGCE in secondary and we have been sent an pre placement health assessment. I have hyper mobility syndrome which I developed symptoms of during university. It causes stiffness and pain in my joints, specifically my upper body (Hands and back) however I have not experienced symptoms for a few years as i maintained a good level of fitness and strength. Unfortunately, since the lock down I've started to have symptoms of pain and stiffness so im probably experiencing a flare up. I have many coping strategies that I've learned over the years eg. strengthening exercises and heat and can function normally throughout the day. I also have ergonomic equipment at home and use assistive technology where possible to ease the pressure on my joints. I have read that occupational health can recommend universities or training providers not to let someone to the course. Can anyone tell me from experience or knowledge of this area whether I am likely to fail the assessment or recommended to not start the course by occupational therapy.

Thanks the for your answers in advance

2. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Under the disability discrimination act an employer would have to make reasonable adjustments. My instinct would be to say that the same would apply here and certainly getting refused a place would constitute grounds for a discrimination case. If you're a student member of a union check with them.

3. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

The health check should be supportive and should lead to the provider looking at how to support you and suggesting you apply for Disabled Student Allowance if they think you will require extra support during your course.
    The health check should only be used to screen out applicants if there is an issue that might be a danger to pupils fir instance TB or possibly unmanageable epilepsy