1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hygiene inspections

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by paul.wheelerslane, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if cooking classrooms should be inspected by the Food Standards Agency?

2. I have been in 2 schools for 15 years now (last 2 as HOD) and have never been inspected (to my knowledge). School canteen is on a regular bases.
    Is it that we do not "sell" the food - its for personal use?

3. Hi
    I'm an ex scientist for the FSA and also an ex EHO and I have inspected many school canteens but probably only a handful of teaching food preparation area.
    They should be inspected but I am not sure why they are not done so more often.
    In saying so, the food teacher has to be up to date with their knowledge of what is expected of them in regards to food safety. If anything happened the employer would be liable for any damage and the teacher may be found blameworthy for breaching their duty. I used to conduct Health and Safety inspections alongside Food hygiene/safety visits but in a school the Health and safety aspect is the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive.