1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hydrogenation of vegetable oils

Discussion in 'Science' started by MrsBridgewater, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Just wondering if anyone has a video of this, either the 'real life' industrial scale process or a graphic representation that I could beg, borrow or steal?

I've had a quick search on you tube, and the resources section here, but not found anything.

TIA

2. Don't know if this will help but I've used it teaching the AQA science course on fats ...

www.magarine.org.uk

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Diabolical process generating new compounds unknown to biology that they hoped human digestive tracts might metabolise. All in the name of long life cakes and grease for applying to bread prior to the jam.
    .... and for years people went along with the food manufacturers and bought stuff adulterated with this foul mess.
    P

4. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Well, yes, but despite that it is on the AQA syllabus so I have to teach it. The lesson will mention the health implications, but I still need to teach what the syllabus calls 'Hardening' of a vegetable oil (far fewer giggles if they referred to it as hydrogenation).

Thank you to the previous poster for the link!