1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HyCoSy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by omega2.5, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I have had my first Gynae appointment today after finding out that I have PCOS. They have swabs and if they come back clear, they want to do a HyCoSy. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and what it is like. Is it similar to a HSG that I have read about?
    Just so nervous about it and after a little reassurance.

2. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I had a HyCoSy 18 months ago, not sure what a HSG entails but the HyCoSy was at the fertility unit carried out by the consultant and a nurse. It was painful (sorry) but only lasted a few minutes, then I had period pain when I got home but I could drive the 20 mins home by myslef no problem. Hot water bottle, ibuprofen and galaxy bar sorted me out! It was good to get the reassurance that my tubes were clear, so well worth it. The only problem was timing my bleed beforehand as I didn't have any periods after coming off the pill and had to have provera, it didn't work at first and the HyCoSy appt was looming so I panicked that I'd still be bleeding when the procedure was booked. Luckily it stopped just in time though.
    If this helps at all, I went on to conceive my now 6 month-old beautiful daughter naturally despite PCO with lots of cysts and problems with OH's SA. The tests and discussing treatment, and of course the waiting were very hard to cope with but we had a happy ending, I hope you do to!

3. Hi Kittens, thank you so much for replying.
    I had expected it would be painful but thank you for being honest. Means that I am prepared for it.
    I am lucky that I have regular periods even though I don't ovulate but they do last quite a while. Often a really light flow for 7 or 8 days and then spotting for a few more. This cycle I was bleeding for nearly 13 days followed by 2 days spotting. I hope this doesn't make it difficult for the HyCoSy.
    At least with the appointments I feel like I am one step closer and yes, the waiting is hard, though I haven't been trying anywhere near as long as some of the other ladies on here. It really is good to hear positive sotries of People conceiving with PCOS and especially when there are other problems too. Congratulations on your beautiful daughter.
    Thanks again Kittens
    Xx

4. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

I think it is the same thing - the one where they put dye through your tubes?? Well I had a HSG, sorry to say, like other poster, it was not pleasant... I felt sick and lightheaded when they did it and had that horrible passing out feeling. However, it does only last a couple of minutes and after nearly 3 years of trying to get pregnant I fell pregnant the cycle after having it done. They didn't find a blockage BUT the doctor said this does happen, I don't know the science behind it but go for it!

5. Don't know about that one, but had an HSG which was uncomfortable I'm afraid. I cried - big girls blouse that I am, there wasn't really any need to, I just worked myself up . It was worth it in the end though.