1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Huston, I have a problem....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by slingshotsally, May 6, 2012.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi all,
    I said "never again" but here I am again.
    However my main problem is that I am very over weight this time and I am very worried about how to tackle this having read another article about being overweight and pregnant.
    I an 5ft 1inch, 12st 10lb's and I desparately wanted to loose weight. My periods had become irregular, I carried on with the conctraception, took the pregnancy tests which always came back negative until now. (Now that I think about it- I had about of severe vomitting a few weeks ago and that could have affected the contraception).
    Please can anyone else advise me if they too faced being overweight and how they managed.
    I am really worried- I know that even at this early stage I can do somthing about it- but there is hardly any advise about weight control whilst pregnant.
    I have already booked appointment with Doctor, and Community Health team.
    I would just like to know how much weight a women puts on during pregnancy on average. Is there anyone who ends a pregnancy within half a stone of their pre-pregnancy weight?
    Thanks
    BPG

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I just wanted to say congrats BPG!!! Lovely news.
    I've always moaned about my weight, but when i got pregnant with my first my BMI was about 26, so only just over. I was a size 12/14. I exercised all through pregnancy, well until about 35 weeks, but unfortunately I did put on some weight. I lost it all, then got pregnant again and put it all on again! My daughter is 1 on Saturday and I'm slightly bigger still, maybe 5lbs, than when I got pregnant with her.
    I think it's because i'd gone from intensive exercise 4-5 times a week and not eating a lot, to doing normal exercise and eating normally while pregnant!
    I'd recommend just eating normally, cutting out any junk and doing some gentle exercise all the way through. If i had another baby I think i'd ask my MW to monitor my weight, so maybe ask yours.
    Even if you do put on weight though, you can lose it after. It's taken me a lot of hard work, but I can fit into my old clothes now.

3. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

My experience was similar. Fit and toned with a BMI of 21 and size 10 when I got pregnant, but put on around 40 pounds so was a firm 14 towards the end. I ate healthy and was active, although perhaps not as much as I was pre-pregnancy. Thankfully, I've lost a bit more than half the weight due to breastfeeding and daily walks with the LO in the pram. Am going to start running again this week so hopefully the rest of the weight will come off by the end of the summer.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Good luck! How old is your baby?
    My daughter is 1 tomorrow and I am about the same size as when i got pregnant with her now, and i can fit into the jeans i bought just before i got pregnant with my first child, but I have a horrible muffin top when i sit down!
    With both my children I went back to the gym when they were 7 weeks old. I usually manage 4 times a week, sometimes 5, and I have a personal trainer! Plus i'm always out and about with my kids (when i'm not at work that is!) All that and it's still taken me a year both times to get back to normal!

5. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

She's 5.5 months today :)

Am probably being a bit cheeky in thinking I'll lose the last bit in the next 3.5 months, but I'm hoping to do as much as I can before I go back to work in September as not sure how inclined I'll be to hit the gym at that point. Have to wait and see.I wanted to start earlier, but had a difficult birth (4 days of labour, forceps, and lots of blood loss) and found walking difficult until after the 8 week check so Dr. advised me to take it easy. Am all raring to go now though and as we're on a good bedtime routine (she's in her cot fast asleep by 7PM) , OH has said he'll listen out one in the evenings if I want to go for a run or to the gym or for a swim. This is on top of the walks I already take with her. We're lucky in that we've got the gym and pool onsite so guess I've got no excuses!Have got a lovely pair of jeans, however, that I only got to wear a handful of times before becoming pregnant so getting into them again will be my incentive!