1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Husband's Depression

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Toomuchtooyoung, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Just feeling a bit low, struggling with my partner's depression. He's on medication and getting all the right help, and I know its an illness, but sometimes its just hard; I take on his anxieties and I just hate feeling like this. Sad.

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

So sorry you are going through this. Have you spoken to your dr about yourself? It is quite possible you are also suffering depression and wouldn't be surprising if your are. Mind have helplines for relatives of those with MH issues. Also it is important if you can to have time away from your OH and the house, whether that be going out with friends or a swim at the local pool. Take care x

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I think it is very very hard for partners to support loved ones through depression. I hope you are also getting some support and are able to talk about your own feelings.

4. Toomuchtooyoung

Thank you. Im going to see my Dr this week, Im lucky that our area is very quick to offer counselling so I'll try and get myself sortrd.

thanks

5. I'm going through the same with my husband. Feel free to PM if you want someone to share experiences with.

6. Toomuchtooyoung

Thanks I've sent a friends request

7. DeputyDawg11

DeputyDawg11 New commenter

I completely understand what you're going through and my thoughts are with you. My partner had a nervous breakdown 18 months ago and at times it was pretty awful. Thankfully we're out the other side now and he's returning to a new job and fresh start.

People often forget the impact on the partner and I found it hard to keep positive at home and work knowing what I was going back to every evening. One thing that helped me was taking up a new hobby - this might sound trite! I decided to learn a musical instrument and it definitely helped me. The all consuming nature of playing music meant I could block everything out for a while.

Feel free to PM me and I sincerely hope things work out for you.