1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Husband has lost his EHIC card and we go on holiday tomorrow

Discussion in 'Personal' started by prettyinpink, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Do you think he'll still be covered? I'm on the phone to the EHIC people as I type but can only get a recorded message.

We have the normal travel insurance

EHIC - European Health Insurance Card - replaces E111 btw

2. Do you think he'll still be covered? I'm on the phone to the EHIC people as I type but can only get a recorded message.

We have the normal travel insurance

EHIC - European Health Insurance Card - replaces E111 btw

3. I think not having card does not invalidate the arrangment but it is highly likely you might have to pay up front then claim back anyway - and make sure you have good travel insurance anyway.

4. bflat

bflat New commenter

As far as I'm aware the EHIC provides free cover for things like hospital visits/medicine/treatment, as in most countries these are not provided free as a matter of course - I think that if you don't have the EHIC card you have to pay for things up front and then claim back on your travel insurance... It doesn't mean you won't get treated, but it does mean that you have to pay for things.

I think that is right.... Speak to your insurers!

5. Thanks - it'll be fine, I'm sure. We're only going to Northern France.

6. read right to bottom

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/frequentlyAsked.do

try this number

0191 212 7500

or
    0191 2035555 which is supposed to be Lost & Stolen & Enquiries

or
    0191 232 5371

of course you may have all these already but if not worth a try! they can at least make sure you do the right thing to not be out of pocket at end of the day.

7. Lost ours last year, rang up and they assured us we were still covered, they gave us phone number to ring if we needed to use insurance so may be worth a phone call to them, our new cards arrived in post whilst on holiday.

8. Thanks - the numbers are all coming up with the message that the office is closed until tomorrow.

But thanks for looking all the same! xx

9. well yes I didn't think they'd be open now but if you have time - well actually I would make time - ring them first thing in morning before you go! or while travelling if all else fails!

10. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I've needed medical treatment in France before (A&E, x-rays and the like) and I had no E111 [as was then] and they treated me with no problems at all - there wasn't any question of them NOT treating someone who didn't have insurance!

11. not treating you and not charging you are not the same thing!

12. Worth phoning them even from France. As Chezzer said they give you a number to phone if you need treatment. You will then not need to pay. Otherwise you will need to pay and then claim on your insurance.

13. I have recently been in contact with them about a missing card. I called 0845 605 0707 and when I chose option 1 I got a recorded message telling me I was still covered and in case of any issues abroad to phone a number (part of the DWP) and they will confirm you are covered. If you phone the no. I have given it will explain all.

Hope this helps

Caramellow

14. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

Scenario - In Germany last year. Earl David got a piece of metal in his eye - don't ask...
    Result? Visit to German eye hospital where they were not interested AT ALL in any card. The only thing they wanted was his passport and to be paid upfront.
    We claimed the cost back when we got home. So much for the cards everyone over here seems to believe are so important!

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They're not in the least interested in the card if you go to most Greek hospitals, either.

I don't understand (and I'd love it if someone could explain) why your passport doesn't double for the card, anyway - why do you need a separate card if you're an EU passport holder?