1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hunted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Feb 18, 2020.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm watching the backlog of these shows. Lots of people hiding in static caravans and going up to Scotland (as if there isn't CCTV up there, haha) but it's quite addictive. I was genuinely disappointed at the end of the series I'm watching when nobody won the money.
    Do you think you could do it? I read the rules, and the odds seem to be very stacked in favour of the hunters. I don't think I could do it, although I do have some ideas...

2. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

Where did you find the rules? I have seen comments and speculation about them, but nothing more.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I watch it, although I haven't caught the current series yet. It surprises me how naive they often are especially around their use of social media and phones.

I'd have the advantage of little SM prescence, and I don't use email that much. Im also resourceful and could probably persuade random people to take me in. I could function without needing to contact family. I dont know if they are allowed any money at all? My disadvantage would be that I don't move very fast, so I wouldn't be able to out run them.

Not that I'd want to of course.

4. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

I suspect that the the rules state that they have to have help from they know and see family at some point during the thing.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Oh, just what everyone else knows, not The Official Rules, which don't seem to be easily found.
    As far as I can make out from all the articles I've read, the (updated) rules include starting out with no money, having to move location every two days, not being allowed to use the same person twice for help, having to use a cash machine twice in the 25 days on the run. Plus a lot of articles about how the producers add rules as they go along! One contestant went public about it.

magic surf bus likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Well all the CCTV footage is faked and the camera crew with the runners report back to base various track able incidents that wouldn't be so immediate in real life.

magic surf bus and coffeekid like this.
  7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I quite enjoy watching it. But it is very contrived. There defo must be a rule about going back to see a loved one or pal. Cos they all do it. Which is ridiculous, because you just wouldn’t if you were being hunted. I didn’t know about that moving every couple of days. This latest group started with no money at all, I think previous ones had some. I’m looking forward to the new Race Across The World. It’s also very contrived but great to see the relationships strengthen or not......!

coffeekid and catmother like this.
  8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Oh yeah. The camera people! What’s to stop them telling on ya? At least in Race Across they’re just competing against each other.

coffeekid likes this.
  9. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

I really enjoy the show, however, it seems to be so staged. That is what disappoints me.

coffeekid and magic surf bus like this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When I first saw it I was seriously tempted to apply as a contestant, as I'm certain I could manage for 28 days without using a mobile phone or contacting family, I have no social media presence at all, and I don't mind sleeping on the ground if I have to. My plan (which another contestant used successfully) was to stick to canal towpaths rather than main roads, or to use isolated coastal footpaths as far as possible. Another idea which nobody seems to have used yet is to hide in plain view by dressing up in hi-vis gear, carrying a black bin bag and looking like you're picking up litter - they're the forgotten people to whom nobody ever gives a second glance. It would certainly help in an urban setting and would be useful when they offer rewards to members of the public for spotting you.

However it rapidly became clear just how contrived it all is. The contestants are increasingly restricted and are shoehorned into certain decisions and behaviours that create 'good' TV, rather than it reflecting the real life thinking of a fugitive or missing person. All of the ANPR and CCTV is faked because the programme makers wouldn't have access to it, and they deliberately select contestants who can't manage without contacting home. One had a sick mother for example. The guy who had the best chance was the ex-Marine who'd done escape and evasion training, but he had a son who was having his first birthday during his time on the run so inevitably he contacted home. Imagine how many ex-forces types they must have applying for it, and they only chose him because of his family circumstances. The other thing is they choose some extrovert characters for entertainment value rather than ordinary low-key personalities who wouldn't draw attention to themselves. The last 'grey' man they chose actually won it, but they haven't had another one since.

I'm still watching it, but on the understanding that it has no resemblance to reality, and it grossly overestimates the powers of the state.