1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hunt or Johnson... don’t make any difference

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Jun 20, 2019.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Both are public school boys Oxford educated out of touch careerist driven egos with no interest in working people or their hopes and aspirations. Both will try to deliver a no deal Brexit as there is no way the EU will re negotiate with either. Labour might be coming out with a Remain platform which in a few months time could give the people a real choice as opposed to this farce in recent days.
    We need a change of government not a change of toffs.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Plus (one hopes) they're both toast at the next General Election. Yesterday's men the pair of them.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Is Corbyn stepping down?

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That's three whole years away.

CraigCarterSmith and catmother like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Next March. Or May if March isn't allowed.

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Thought it was May 22nd 2022?

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Where did I get that date from??
    Who am I?

knitone likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The next general election in the United Kingdom is scheduled to be held on 5 May 2022 under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Or might not.
    Labour? Totally useless. Just as divided as yer toffs.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Doubtful.

More than 25 Labour MPs have written to Jeremy Corbyn to urge him not to go "full Remain" as the party reviews its stance on another Brexit referendum.

They warn another referendum would be "toxic" and empower the "populist right" in many Labour heartlands.

They call on the leadership to abandon their pursuit of a "perfect deal" and to back an agreement by 31 October.

border_walker likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yep!

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Trouble is as we've seen over the years so many people think that privaterly educated students especially anyone who's attended the top ranking unis are far more intelligent and capable than those who have not, it's the mainstay of our whole education system to which many of us are inextricably party to.

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

They generally are.

needabreak likes this.
  14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You just felt the need to identify as one of those I mentioned which is of course fine.

It's no doubt also why so many concerned parents from. A sorts of backgrounds want their children hot housed to perform well enough to get into one.

15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Hunt or Johnson, a bit like being your choice of which poison do you prefer.

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Will we not be independent by then?

coffeekid likes this.
  17. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

They might be intelligent but those who take up a career in politics don't strike me as being 'capable'. Many (though not all) are manifestly incompetent.

Plus, recalling Aristotle, moral integrity and fibre are meant to be integral to the characters of those who steer the polis.

He would have been appalled by the present generation of demagogues, greasy pole climbers, sharks, grifters, narcissists and out-of-touch cranks.

18. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

High intelligence and capability don't necessarily bring with them empathy and the ability to see things from the point of view of your average "man or woman in the street". Concerns which Oxbridge types airily wave away can seem very real to ordinary people. Our ruling class is out of kilter with the people, and hence the Brexit vote.

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

But, as 2017 shows, that means very little in practice.

20. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Johnson will have to be careful. Brown picked up the PM ship, had a bounce, could have gone to the country, didn’t and then got trounced despite having to handle the financial crisis.

Johnson could be smart. He could say, I can’t take the country out of the EU because I don’t have a majority. Go to GE and say give me enough MPs to make this happen. In which case the GE will be wholly on the divide. Remain voters will have to tactically vote lib, snp and lab. Brexit party and cons will have to vote cons.

If he doesn’t go to the country, his support will dribble away like Brown.

And I’d need to study the maths to see what the outcome would be.