1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hunger Games grades?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by therumpus, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hi all.
    I'm a preservice teacher (so excuse my lack of knowledge!!) and I wonder if you might be able to help me figure out what grade levels would be suitable for Hunger Games units? Also, I'm in Australia, so I guess age/grades might be a little different to the UK.
    Do you think that Grade 6 (10-12 year olds) would be an okay grade? From prac, I know that many kids would be capable of it, but there are a few that still struggle with any reading.
    I remember that when I was in Year 6, the teacher read the class A Fortunate Life. Is reading to the class unusual at that grade? If the book were to be read to the class, I gather the content would be acceptable - has anyone had any problems with using Hunger Games?

Thanks.

2. Hi all.
    I'm a preservice teacher (so excuse my lack of knowledge!!) and I wonder if you might be able to help me figure out what grade levels would be suitable for Hunger Games units? Also, I'm in Australia, so I guess age/grades might be a little different to the UK.
    Do you think that Grade 6 (10-12 year olds) would be an okay grade? From prac, I know that many kids would be capable of it, but there are a few that still struggle with any reading.
    I remember that when I was in Year 6, the teacher read the class A Fortunate Life. Is reading to the class unusual at that grade? If the book were to be read to the class, I gather the content would be acceptable - has anyone had any problems with using Hunger Games?

Thanks.

3. The Hunger Games is definitely young adult fiction, and deals with themes far above anything I'd introduce to a primary school child. There's no way this book is appropriate for 10-12 year olds.

4. Hmm, yeah, I thought some of it might be questionable, but I've read a few cases in America where it has been introduced to Grade 5 or 6 and the students really responded to it.
    A number of students in my prac class (Grade 6, 10-12 years) were reading Twilight...which leads me to wonder what is acceptable.

5. Twilight may be a little graphic in parts, but it doesn'tdeal with any particularly taxing themes. Mostly, it's a book about chastity. The later books are worse in terms of imagery, but are still fluffy on the idea that a book should have a message to impart.
    I don't mean to say that The Hunger Games is a book of graphic violence, as far as I remember the actual depictions of fighting and death are fairly light given the subject matter. However, the book deals with things like martyrdom, prostitution, "racial" privelege, psychological bullying, and governmental oppression.
    All things that children may need to learn about and deal with eventually, but I would imagine that a packed primary classroom would not be the ideal place.