1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Humanity has only a handful of decades to avoid a devastating 'Hothouse Earth' I PBS

Discussion in 'Geography' started by AndrewvanZyl, Aug 21, 2018.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Published on Aug 15, 2018
    A study published in the Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences tells a tale of two Earths. In one, humans are able to rein in global warming, and in the other, temperatures would be irreversibly warmer than pre-industrial levels, by 4 to 5 degrees Celsius. How societies act in the next few decades could determine the trajectory of our planet.

2. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

I see so many individuals with robust and passionate agendas to do all the right things for the world. They do an outstanding job setting an example but they are fighting against an ever-rising tied. Big business chasing profits at all costs and governments with short-term election agendas have no stomach for making responsible decisions.
    An example is the astronomical and illogical surge in the amount of plastic being used. I am now seeing bananas being individually wrapped - surely they come with their own wrap. Take a flight and count the number of plastic bags and one use plastic items you are asked to use. Soap seems to need 3 layers.
    The majority, including myself, simply go along with the convenience. We have been corrupted by the easy option, the throwaway culture, and saying what's the point in contributing our drop to a leaking bucket?
    There are many more invasive environment issues but the example of plastic in our communities is one we all see many times daily.
    Democracy seems to be failing us. Governments are not looking after our best interests, but their own in being reelected. The election process seems to be more dependent upon big business donations and manipulation of the media, than winning the respect of individuals and making the hard long-term decisions.
    The systems are in place, entrenched and digging deeper.
    A groundswell for change is needed but I suspect the momentum will come too late.