1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Humanities subject leader and clueless!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by EhiJ, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Hi,

I will begin my new position as the humanities (History and Geography) subject coordinator in a new school, this September. As I was teaching at a different school last year, I did not have the luxury of a well detailed induction and handover as my induction was only for a few hours.

I am clueless as to what is required of me but I really want to make a positive impact.

It's so unsettling not knowing what to do.

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

You know, you don't have to have an impact right away. Be sensible, start by getting to know you classes, getting to know your department and learning what works and what doesn't.

As those more experienced than you, what these subject areas need to do to improve. Spend the first term listening, nodding getting to know them, and storing up ideas and themes in your head.

You don't need an impact right off, how can you? You don't know the place. Too many bouncy new people come in and upset everyone before the kids even arrive on the third day. Don't fall into the trap of doing 'stuff'.

3. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

Sound advice above. It's fairly normal not to have a long period of handover if you're working at another school.

Tell your dept you aim to spend the first term getting to know the school and talking to each of them properly at some point before half term - this is not a cop out but good practice. In a school where there is a dept of nqts and no sceme of work it would be different, but it doesn't sound like this is the case.

That said, if there are any new staff make sure you and they have all resources needed for the start of term.

Some discussion about aims for the year will probably come out of the summer's exam results, and again, since you weren't there, you will value the input of existing staff on why the results are as they are.

You will gauge as the term goes on what developments may be needed, and which colleagues might be most receptive to change/ piloting new ideas.

Ensure you have a meeting with your line manager as soon as possible. But don't say you are clueless in the meeting! They have employed you for a reason and must have confidence in you!

Good luck.

solvacrime likes this.