1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Human Scatter Graph

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by wibble73, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Spurred on by an eager PGCE student, we took my Year 9 class outside today to create a human scatter graph.

Was, much to my amazement, a success...

Worth a go if you've got the space...

2. Spurred on by an eager PGCE student, we took my Year 9 class outside today to create a human scatter graph.

Was, much to my amazement, a success...

Worth a go if you've got the space...

3. I do this regularly it is great

4. What variables do you use?

We had quite a lot of trouble coming up with ones that would be spread reasonably so they weren't standing on top of one another...

5. My problem with this is finding 'measurements' that are unembarrassing for teenagers! Height versus weight is obviously out. Arm length versus hand span seems OK but is pretty dull - why would anyone care?

What did you do, Wibble?

6. We did last digit of phone number against date of birthday (1st - 31st)

And then we did their recent test results - Non calc v calc...

Which conveniently showed that they are all about the same ability, because they were standing on each others toes in a nice positive correlation-y way.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Height vs shoe size should work.

Did you use something to give a scale or just put them in order?

8. We had axes made out of masking tape.

To get a scale up to 32 I spread 15 of them along the axes and some wrote up in 2s between their feet...

I was trying to make sure we didn't get too many people standing on the same spot...

9. I've done it with whole school - head circumference against height. 200 odd kids!!! It was great fun!

10. Love doing human scatter graphs! Have done them at two completely different schools and worked out great every time.
    I used to do height v. arm span, but the correlation was too perfect, then switched to height v. shoe size. Here the correlation is stronger with older kids, less so with students who are in, say, Year 8.
    A few tips: (i) Try doing it with more than one class together, it is more fun, and a more memorable moment for them. (ii) Have the kids hold up crosses that are color-coded. (iii) Make sure you know the maximum and minimum of each variable in advance so that you have the axes set out straight away. (iv) Take plenty of photographs: the graph should be somewhere where you can get above to take the photo; but also have a colleague take plenty of great pictures during the process so that you can create a display on the "story" of how the graph was formed.
    And then of course there are human bar-charts, human stem-and-leaf diagrams, human pie-charts, human box-plots, ...