1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Human Rights, Women's Rights, Living Islam and a lot more

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Feb 18, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Human Rights, Women's Rights The UN, Pakistan

Hi guys, I've had a funny week, constantly being diverted from what I plan to do. the latest manifestation of this was an email I received last night from a friend, Raana, asking me if I could edit/correct a report that she has to submit tomorrow. As a result I have been working a night shift. I was so impressed with her report that I asked if I can share it with teachers here in England and she agreed, so I have just uploaded it. This is what I have said as an introduction

Ra'ana Mahmood is a Pakistani Doctor who started a non-govermnental organisation called the Geriatric Care Foundation. She is in New York for a Human Rights Conference, presenting a paper about the situation in Pakistan, regarding Women's Rights and the position of Elderly people in Pakistan. Ra'ana is a good friend of mine and emailed me last night to ask if I would check through her report and correct her mistakes in English. Her report is quite moving AND a rich resource for both RE and Citizenship. Ra'ana says I may share it here. Please give feedback / rating if you use this.

Raana is not just a wise woman but also a very courageous one. She has received death threats before now for speaking up on sensitive matters, and to criticise the extremists as she does here takes a lot of guts. i do hope that you will look at the report and see how it can be used to support GCSE and A'level teaching. It has so many possible applications that it would be most helpful if you can give fieedback. Also it would be nice to tell Raana how it is touching lives and reaching people far more widely than just in the corridors of he United Nations. She needs and deserves all the support she can get.

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Human Rights, Women's Rights The UN, Pakistan

Hi guys, I've had a funny week, constantly being diverted from what I plan to do. the latest manifestation of this was an email I received last night from a friend, Raana, asking me if I could edit/correct a report that she has to submit tomorrow. As a result I have been working a night shift. I was so impressed with her report that I asked if I can share it with teachers here in England and she agreed, so I have just uploaded it. This is what I have said as an introduction

Ra'ana Mahmood is a Pakistani Doctor who started a non-govermnental organisation called the Geriatric Care Foundation. She is in New York for a Human Rights Conference, presenting a paper about the situation in Pakistan, regarding Women's Rights and the position of Elderly people in Pakistan. Ra'ana is a good friend of mine and emailed me last night to ask if I would check through her report and correct her mistakes in English. Her report is quite moving AND a rich resource for both RE and Citizenship. Ra'ana says I may share it here. Please give feedback / rating if you use this.

Raana is not just a wise woman but also a very courageous one. She has received death threats before now for speaking up on sensitive matters, and to criticise the extremists as she does here takes a lot of guts. i do hope that you will look at the report and see how it can be used to support GCSE and A'level teaching. It has so many possible applications that it would be most helpful if you can give fieedback. Also it would be nice to tell Raana how it is touching lives and reaching people far more widely than just in the corridors of he United Nations. She needs and deserves all the support she can get.