1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Human geography fieldwork

Discussion in 'Geography' started by fella, Sep 15, 2011.

1. fella

fella New commenter

Hello all,
    I am thinking of arranging some fieldwork for our year 9's as we dont currently run any. Our y9 syllabus is all Human geography - population, settlement and development. Does any know of any good locations for studies??
    I have looked at some of the resources on the GTT website and they seem very good does anyone have exerience of them?

If not a practical field trip then an 'experience' visit would be suitable, any good locations - museums, etc that migt suit?
    All ideas are welcome.
    Thanks.

2. fella

fella New commenter

Hello all,
    I am thinking of arranging some fieldwork for our year 9's as we dont currently run any. Our y9 syllabus is all Human geography - population, settlement and development. Does any know of any good locations for studies??
    I have looked at some of the resources on the GTT website and they seem very good does anyone have exerience of them?

If not a practical field trip then an 'experience' visit would be suitable, any good locations - museums, etc that migt suit?
    All ideas are welcome.
    Thanks.

3. You could go out and count some cars. You could even do a tally chart of car colour.

4. fella

fella New commenter

hmmm, sounds too much like rain man - we're countin cards!!

Anyone else??

5. If you live in a large town why not visit the different kinds of living spaces and look at how sustainable they are.
    If you are by the seaside investigate the impact of tourism.
    clone towns if you can visit a town centre.
    A national park - impact of tourism/caves - Peak District for example

6. fella

fella New commenter

Am thinking clone town is a good one i'll use the online resources.

Any suggests for museum/exhibition visits?

7. Hi there
    We're an educational centre that offers human geography field trips to schools and universities. We work right through KS2, 3, 4 and beyond on exactly the topics you've mentioned. Our most popular programme for your age group is our Sustainability day which looks at sustainable development in an urban area, but we also offer programmes about settlements more broadly, and city/town planning workshops too. We're always happy to tailor content so if you'd like us to incorporate some work around clone towns, that's fine.
    Feedback from teachers about our Geography days is excellent and the pupils always report back positively too.
    If you'd like to know more, get in touch! We're Milton Keynes City Discovery Centre, contact us on 01908 227229 or education@mkcdc.org.uk.
    Thanks
    Kim Davies, Learning Events Coordinator, MKCDC.

8. fella

fella New commenter

Thanks guys for input so far.
    I think i am going to run with the clone town stuff. I am going along the format of 'is Guildford a clone town?' using the RGS materials from their website.
    Does anyone have any experience o running this?
    I have some questions, particularly realting to the housing area surveys.
    I would ideally liek to run this as a prep exercise for GCSE controlled assessment so again if anyone has any ideas or experiences of adapting this material and can share, that would be great.
    Many thanks.

9. fella

fella New commenter

Still considering how to work this.
    I think maybe we'd be better doing a dry runthrough with our year 9 using some exisiting data.
    Does anyone out there from Guildford, or anywhere else that's tried this perhaps havea set of data we could use??
    Please?

Thanks.

10. The Clone Town survey is a good one to do and very easy. I have run it in Guidlford, Dorking, Taunton and Minehead. It raises lots of interesting questions among groups. It is very easy to do as you only need to send students along an ara of high street and record 50 shops (I think?). if you want to make it suitable for a range of groups, divide the town up into a series of different areas (central High St, West High St, Quiet St etc) and then look at how the 'cloneness' differs in different parts of the town. You normally find that the main oart of town is highly cloned, but less so as you move further away - thisis a good link into rents etc.
    If you want to discuss more, I chair the GA Fieldwork Group (http://www.geography.org.uk/aboutus/committeesspecialinterestgroups/fieldworksig/) and you can get my email address off there.
    Good luck
    Nick