1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Human element of the Japan earthquake

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Whilst so many of the pictures and videos make it hard to personalise the disaster ... to see it on a human scale

A news programme on C5 has just shown a woman searching for her 90+ yr old mother ... she was searching through wooden debris that she thought might have been her mother's house ... she recognised curtains and a photograph that was probably her mother's neighbour ... her mother lived in an area that had warning but many elderly could not leave at the required pace

It is easier to share the pain of one person than of a whole nation ... reducing the enormity of the disaster to a personal sadness

2. I've seen little of the personal stuff this weekend, I've only really read internet news reports.
    However some of the children mentioned today having seen a story about a woman who was holding her child in the flood and suddenly the child was no longer there, washed away. That must be horrific.

3. I did not see that but that must be a nightmare come true

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

The news coverage here (Korea) has been pretty equally focussed on the personal element and the wider picture.
    The coverage must have been excellent - there is no love lost between the Japanese and the Koreans. Even to the extent where the kids all cheered on initially hearing about the earthquake. However after watching the coverage, even the kids said they felt sorry for Japan, and that NEVER happens. It is immense as far as the history of earthquakes there go. THe kids here are de-sensitised to hearing aout them (in Japan) to a certain extent, but this one has rattled even the most hard-hearted Koreans.

5. Sentimentality and awfulness aside, my over-riding thought was that if this is the carnage, what is the point in staying there. There is nothing to say another quake on that scale may come in days, weeks, years, decades... Those that say "this was the big one" are fooling themselves.
    On the human level, I see death as just that, and it makes no difference whether it is from cancer in a UK hospital or en masse in Japan. We are all the subjects of nature and life.
    I just think living amongst risk increases the chance of the inevitable happening early or unpleasantly.
    Sadly, 21st century values make us more sensitive to events that are beyond our control, a consideration we have got used to not having to make in the modern West. A demonstration of the force of mother nature is good for all of us in a way.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, I don't need that sort of demonstration.
    I think I know what you were trying to say but it's hard to think of a clumsier example of crass tactlessness.

7. The story of the little man found on the roof of his house, at sea yesterday, really touched me.
    He and his wife had tried to get a few last minute things before evacuating, when the tsunami struck, and she was swept away. their house was carried out to sea, and he manage to stay afloat on the roof of it.

8. Where do you expect them all to go?
    Well, for most of us it seems to bring out our sympathy and support.
    It seems for you, it brings a shrug of shoulders.

9. ok - hvr is a complete sh*t
    i have been got at on primary for suggesting this is not an amazing weather/geolgoy lesson - it is a catastrophe
    comforted to see the rest of you agree
    our japanese kids have all gone sick - maybe tomorrow we will call them (we have texted then already) and see if they can bear to come to school
    life sucks

10. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

How are your Japanese kids florapost? Any of them make it in? My heart goes out to them. Many students here have family in Japan. A difficult time with many tears and tantrums bless them. xx

11. What a stunning photograph - in a shocking, heartbreaking sense. You want to pluck her up and take her home.

12. sorry - have not been here for a while - thanks for asking - so far, so good - much relief when they came back