1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hullo to the new Chief Moderator @mattf12345. Can we have a clear-out please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Feb 13, 2020.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, @mattf12345 . And if @TES_Rosaline should drop in when she has a spare moment from her new workplace, I hope that your Fields and Pastures new are just what you wanted.

I am an occasional poster only now (old age), but having been laid up flat on my back for nearly a week (old age), I have probably lurked and posted on here more in the last week, out of boredom, than in the whole of the past year.

So I was wondering if @mattf12345 was considering doing a bit of housekeeping on the forums . . . New broom, and all that. Clearing out the cupboards. Emptying the loft. Getting rid of obsolete and unwanted or unnecessary items . . .

So on the off chance that this idea is in the back of your mind, Matt, here are some Great Clear-Out suggestions to start you off.

Great Clear-Out Number 1

All those pinned threads. So many! Pinned thread after pinned thread at the top of many forums. Do you think anyone EVER reads them? They are rather like crying "Wolf!". So many that they are all ignored.

There are some forums that have no pinned threads at all, and some with only one. Which is the one from September 2019 saying the new TES website is coming soon, but without the one saying it isn´t. ;)

Forums with most pinned threads
    Welcome Lounge - 12 Pinned threads
    Workplace Dilemmas - 9 Pinned threads
    Career Clinic - 8 Pinned threads
    Secondary - 10 Pinned threads
    SEN - 8 Pinned threads
    Teaching Abroad - 8 Pinned threads
    NQTs - 10 Pinned threads
    Jobseekers - 9 Pinned threads

That´s another thing about the pinned threads. Do we need, now, 5 months later, a pinned thread saying there´s going to be a new website then another saying that there isn´t, just yet? Couldn´t they both be tidied away as part of the housekeeping clear-out?

And then there are those ancient pinned threads, information threads, that have been there for years and years. Some give dead links, links to out-of-date information, or at the very least to information that nobody has checked recently, is my guess.

On Careers there is a pinned thread called New Careers peer advisor to help answer your queries. The thread was set up in 2016, the advisor hasn´t replied to anything for 10 months (although some poor posters are still putting in their queries). Obsolete? Ditto the pinned thread Advice for starting a teaching role in January; last time the advisor replied was autumn 2017.

Secondary has three pinned threads about preparing for 2019 exams. Obsolete stuff all over the place, I won´t go on.

A number of forums have a pinned thread asking posters to fill in the TES Community Survey early last December. The survey closed, the link is dead, the pinned posts are still there.

Great Clear-Out Number 2

Talking of obsolete stuff brings me to my second point. Whilst generally lurking and reading this and that on the website, I have come across, by accident (and cannot now find them again) articles and information written by me in the distant past which are now so old they are about to qualify for a pension. On one I even wrote, in 2016, that it should be removed as it was already obsolete then, 4 years ago.

Just a thought . . .

So a few cheerful ideas to greet you bright and early tomorrow morning, Matt!

Best wishes

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Could we not also have a clear out of "past their sell by date" posters too ;)

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Absolutely spot on - there ARE far too many pinned threads. It’s all done with the best of intentions, but you do just end up scrolling past them, and it means there are fewer active threads on the front page to grab your attention.

SECONDED!

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Thirded. And thanks, Theo, for drawing The New Order's attention to them, especially the pinned threads.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Totally agree and why the Jules Daulby thread still showing ? I think she has defected to LinkedIn :D

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I take it that the update has been forgotten about? I suspect those who were going to do it aren't here any more and their replacements don't know it was ever going to happen.

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Fie on't! ah, fie! 'tis an unweeded garden
    That grows to seed; things rank and gross in nature
    Possess it merely.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@mattf12345 .

Found one!

An obsolete article that needs to be cleared out (Don´t go bothering to click to look at it, folks, not worth the keyboard it was written on, it'll only confuse things for anyone who started after 2013).

Written 5 years, one month and one week ago. Some serious clearing out of old stuff really needs to be done.

Best wishes to all

agathamorse likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Look.
    I dug out said new moderator's recent post.
    It does not mention unpinning or sweeping out skills.
    I wish people would stop being so demanding!

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree, Theo. It needs a sort out as things are looking out of date. Most of us are just ignoring them but imagine if a new poster followed out of date advice from those pinned threads.

@mattf12345 Can you help?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Oi!

agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.
  12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

If the cap fits.......

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ooh Theo, sorry you're laid up but good to see you posting- even if out of boredom. ;)

You make some very valid points.

I admit I rarely even look at the pinned posts or the 'starter page' as I go straight to Unread posts on Watched Threads or New Posts, but for 'newbies' it must be very confusing. We even had a recent poster remembering you from years ago asking for a reply. She obviously hadn't even registered there's been two replacements since you. So she obviously hadn't spotted the 'New Forum Hosts' pinned threads.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.
  14. Alceanne1

Alceanne1 Senior commenter

Agree absolutely with the points made above. @mattf12345 is there any way some of this could be addressed?

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It seems pretty pointless to advertise an update and left simply leave it as a couple of pinned posts with nothing else happening.

When there are websites that haven’t been updated for a long time, most people scroll on past and ignore them. There are parallels to be drawn.
    If the new moderators want to have a vibrant community, what @TheoGriff has said and others have endorsed, should be considered.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Some of us older obsolete posters will die so they get a natural clear out

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If someone pins something important, it will get missed.

18. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Those pinned threads have been obsolete for so long I've come to think of them as 'dead threads' so just ignore anything with a pin next to it.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It makes the place look neglected, uncared for...
    It's unprofessional.

And posters are running amok!

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Shall I attempt to attract mattf12345's attention with a string of four letter words, and an off-colour joke about transfolks? How about a disapproving word about Vince?