1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Huile Piquante

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by found nemo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I used to decant this by the bucket load (literally) when I worked in a pizza restaurant in France! You need dried chillies and I think we chucked in some chilli flakes as well. As far as I remember, the chillies were warmed with the oil and then bottled. Takes a few days to take on the flavour.

2. That's how I make it! Have fun.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

What about the herbs?

4. No herbs. We used to make herb oil as well with rosemary in, and garlic oil. Decanted into old orangina bottles with a pourer shoved in the end!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I make this about once a year for our pizzas and for general cooking purposes.
    I warm dried chilli flakes in the oil then pour it into a bottle which already has a prig of rosemary in it.
    Takes a few weeks for the flavour to really develop, but it is then a very useful shortcut to have to one side when cooking.
    I also make garlic oil which is raw garlic in oil - no need to warm!

6. Rosemary or oregano could go in, but I make them separately and combine over the pizza/salad/pasta!

Orangina bottles.... of course! That's what they are!!