1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hugh's Fish Fight

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, Jan 12, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Anyone been watching this? God it's grim. [​IMG]
    I'll be back on the lentils again at this rate.

2. This exists in the meat industry too.
    Did you know, for example, that the US only has 13 - yes, 13, slaughter houses for the whole of the US? I couldn't believe it (and it is kept secret - I cannot publish the official material or I would be hunted down like Assange). Can you imagine how those animals are slaughtered? Conveyer belt like. That is your McD burger and your Argentinian Angus steak.
    Do you know how much mince is destroyed in the US? Almost 90%. That is a waste of meat and disgraceful.
    And Europe and the UK is not much better.

3. Absolutely appalling, I cannot understand the mentality of Euro-MPs who could allow this kind of wastage when half the world goes hungry. How can throwing dead fish back into the water increase levels of that species? I felt the fishermen had a good point, that they should have a quota of numbers of days (which still allow them to make a living) and are allowed to keep all the fish they catch. I'm absolutely seething!!!

4. My feeling about fish is that we should move, quickly, to polyculture. It looks good and 'feels' right. The water circulates through the plants and the ponds. Eventually it's pretty near self-sustaining if some of the items grown can feed the fish. The fish wastes fertilise the plants.
    Neat. Practical. Safe. No danger to fishermen on the oceans. No damage to rivers or estuaries from fish "farming". No artificial fertilisers. Beautiful.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Yep, that goes for me too.
    Fish isn't a major problem, thanks to resident angler. Can get the odd bit of game (pheasant mostly) from friend who shoots and we buy free range, ethical eggs locally.
    Farmers' market for ethical meat & poultry, but it's extortionate, so we do succumb to the evils of 2 for a fiver mince in Tesco. Then my conscience nips, nips, nips and I give myself no peace.
    It's almost easier just to say 'sod it' and live off fruit, veg, quorn & tofu . And Wicken Fen sausages.
    I'm quite depressed now. [​IMG]

6. My dad used to buy all sortsa of fish from those beach fishermen in Hastings and if I can just get hold of some I will cook dabs (a la Jamie) and lemon sole for certain.

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Mr M's grandad was a fish merchant in a small, but well know Scottish fishing town.
    He loved gurnard in particular. When Mr M was on the boats he always used to say 'don't forget to bring me a gurnard or two, son'. In those days (1986-92) gurnard wasn't regarded as being of any value and usually got hoyed overboard if they got caught in the net!
    They really are the bonniest little fish:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Gurnard - almost too pretty to eat but delicious! I used to get them from the pier in Stoney when the boats came in because nobody else wanted them - from your man manashee? It would have been round about that time.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

They are very delicious, apparently. Not Stoney, cosmos. A fair bit further south than that (but east coast).
    He loved working on the boats. Says he'd go back to it like a shot if there were a living to be made. Last straw was when they went out on a 10 day haul and only caught enough fish for the boat (i.e. to pay the diesel etc.), so none of the men got paid, despite working their behinds off. Then when he got back to shore was turned away by the dole office because he had been 'available for work' during that time and therefore entitled to nothing
    A man can't live like that. [​IMG]

10. Did you all sign up... Cahnnel 4 site link
    Lots of help for each of us to get more fish friendly - as I don't like salmon that one is easy, but the links lower down th page are a really useful start.
    We sat here spitting at the telly.... and I wonder how much better I will be watch Gordie trying to be all sincere about shark fins!
    HFW has certainly grown in my estimation over the last few months.... I hope he/we can get this changed.

And that's another hobby horse for me to ride.... fish and Nestle, weird combination!

11. Blinkin eck. Reading stuff like that always makes me so furious.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I hadn't come across this before. I missed the programme but have been watching Heston talking about the need to eat more different types of fish in between making wierd and wonderful looking things!
    I have signed the petition.