1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hugh Christie school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Jun 20, 2019.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Off with their heads !

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

minnie me likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

On good grief!! :rolleyes:

Some media sources show the name of the teacher.

[​IMG]

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Why do they even consider having such things. I know where it would go in our house, the bin!

Laphroig, minnie me and nomad like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I wonder what they think about gold stars for pretty work worthy of the wall?

nomad likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Shocking that staff members feel it’s that it’s perfectly acceptable to use / abuse their time in this way and the ‘ thinking ‘ behind it?! Blimey !

Wotton, Laphroig and nomad like this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Our Y11 leavers draw up lists like this for the yearbook. The Pastoral Leader of Y11 then heavily moderates it. Tbh, quite a few of those categories appear in the yearbook - strop, best-looking (as if they don't all already know), best teacher, most likely ti be PM, but it's drawn up and voted on by the kids in a fun way. It doesn't go home to parents until it's actually published.
    I think Y9's too young, and if I were a teacher I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole, but I dont think anyone should be losing their job over it.

bombaysapphire and Sally006 like this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Something else for me to fail at. Maleficent won the vote hands down.

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

My school did similar for many years for the year 11 leavers day. It was organised by heads of year and a member of slt. I can’t remember if there were a ‘best looking’ categories but others were similar to the ones used here.

I was never comfortable with it - but seemed to be the only one who thought it inappropriate - even the milder categories. I always thought how excluding it was - 6- 8 students and their cronies basking in their accolades whilst the rest mere onlookers and with many of the more vulnerable students left ‘outside’ and their marginality reinforced.

10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Quite a few of those categories could be usefully applied to the current contenders for the Conservative leadership.

Who would win the "Biggest Ego" award?

11. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

Can prizes be awarded jointly?

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't find it amusing.

But has this teacher nothing better to do? Is there nothing he could more usefully do with his time?

At least set them "favourite scientist", "favourite novelist", "favourite British monarch". OK, it wouldn't appeal to their baser instincts and some wouldn't bother but, for those who did, some learning might just ensue!

Laphroig, minnie me and nomad like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Where's the fun in that?

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The nominations form for Y11 Leavers back in 2007 at our school included 'Fittest Girl', 'Fittest Boy', and 'Best Couple'. Our youngest and her beau won the last category. Our eldest won 'Best Nonconformist' a couple of years previously, and we're not talking religion either.

I suppose the propensity for social media outrage and moral panic has changed since then, and it's certainly a bit silly doing it as early as Y9.

15. grumpydogwoman

Would you find it a laugh if one of these were distributed to staff? I wouldn't.

Most sh@ggable teacher (female)
    Best teacher (male)
    Worst speller (female)
    Most stupid comment on a report (male)

Yeah. Hilarious.

Doitforfree likes this.
  16. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Do we know it was a teacher? We have non teaching pastoral managers. Some of them barely scraped a couple of GCSEs. Some of the emails they send to staff and parents are sometimes cringeworthy. Looks like the sort of thing they would do. Again I don't think it's a sackable offence. Some re or training required.

17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I volunteered at a primary school abroad which arranged a cultural day that included a beauty pageant for the girls. With a swimwear section. I boggled.

18. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

How is it a 'fun' way? It's a horrible thing to do. They did something nearly as bad at my boys' primary school. My lovely, biddable, kind son, outstanding at maths, was given 'messiest drawer'. Lots of fun for everyone else, including the head and all the parents, who laughed at him in the leavers' assembly, I'm sure.

19. grumpydogwoman

That's absolutely appalling @Doitforfree

I am disgusted by that.

minnie me likes this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Well obviously it depends on the category and the age of the child. A little boy being laughed at for a messy drawer is a different case to a 16 yr old who is immensely proud of "biggest strop". The kids themselves have enough nous and decency to avoid nominating any of the kids with actual conditions.