1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Huge responsibility, no reward

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Jul 18, 2011.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I have been asked to take on responsibility of communication across the whole school in all subjects in two languages.
    There is no TLR on offer at the moment although there could be one available in 2012. I also have other co-ordinator responsibilities across the school and this just seems like a very big ask for no reward.
    Is it possible I could ask to be moved up to the next point on my pay scale (ups)?
    Not sure how to handle this as we are a happy school with great relationships throughout.

2. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I know the feeling. I manage a large subject in school for no TLR. Primary teachers are supposed to be just happy to have a job as there are so many without posts. Hey ho!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, payscale is totally different to TLRs and does not reflect responsibility.

It is a big ask, you have to decide if the long term career rewards will outweigh the irritation of doing it for nothing now.

4. Say No. Say you feel the extra responsibility would stop you from doing your current role as well as you possibly can.
    I have been coordinating ICT for a couple of years with no financial reward, but have just received a TLR for taking on KS1 Coord. The only staff with TLRs in our school are KS Coords who are also members of SLT.
    No subject coordination comes with a TLR - otherwise Lit, Num, ICT, Science, PE etc would all be worthy of one - but there just isnt the cash.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Yes, but at least I would have extra cash in my pocket for doing the job. Not sure my head would go for it though.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You HT CANNOT 'go for it'. Payscale does not reflect responsibility and so cannot be used in that way. It isn't even worth asking as the only answer is no.

What about when you stop doing the job and move on elsewhere, you would then have to either go down the payscale, which you cannot do, or keep the 'payrise' despite not having that responsibility. Totally unacceptable.

Teaching is one of the many jobs where you often have to seemingly do a job for no reward in order to get on. If you are impatient for a promotion, then take this role for a year or so and then move onwards and upwards. If you aren't then say no.