1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

huffy child who refuses to speak

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by travel n teach, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I need some advice with a 7 yr old child in my class who becomes very stroppy when told off and quite often sits with his head down, thumps the desk and will not do anything he is asked to do or speak to me or his peers. These incidents can last over an hr and then he slowly comes round.
    Other chn can provoke these incidents by saying something he doesn't want to hear or if I tell him off for shouting out, being distracted etc
    I'm finding it increasingly hard to deal with and have tried to ignore him, place his picture on the raincloud (we have golden time) praise acceptable behaviour and so on. When he has calmed down he will sometimes talk about it and one day apologised but more often than not he doesn't want to discuss it. His family is aware of this behaviour as he often behaves similarly at home.
    These incidents started the week before Christmas and are happening about twice a week, the rest of the time he is a pleasant, well mannered boy. I'm wondering if there is a link to the fact that his mum had another baby and she came home from hospital just before Christmas, he is now the oldest of 5. Although when he talks about his baby sister he is very positive and says how much he loves her.
    Not sure what to try next as nothing seems to be working to date so any advice is much appreciated!

2. I need some advice with a 7 yr old child in my class who becomes very stroppy when told off and quite often sits with his head down, thumps the desk and will not do anything he is asked to do or speak to me or his peers. These incidents can last over an hr and then he slowly comes round.
    Other chn can provoke these incidents by saying something he doesn't want to hear or if I tell him off for shouting out, being distracted etc
    I'm finding it increasingly hard to deal with and have tried to ignore him, place his picture on the raincloud (we have golden time) praise acceptable behaviour and so on. When he has calmed down he will sometimes talk about it and one day apologised but more often than not he doesn't want to discuss it. His family is aware of this behaviour as he often behaves similarly at home.
    These incidents started the week before Christmas and are happening about twice a week, the rest of the time he is a pleasant, well mannered boy. I'm wondering if there is a link to the fact that his mum had another baby and she came home from hospital just before Christmas, he is now the oldest of 5. Although when he talks about his baby sister he is very positive and says how much he loves her.
    Not sure what to try next as nothing seems to be working to date so any advice is much appreciated!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would (act) be so utterly furious with any child that did any such thing, that no-one would dare to do so again. That's then one problem solved.

If he is upset and behaves this way then I would speak to him and comfort him. If he is just sulking then I'd leave him to it and ensure all the children left him alone as well.

I'd not bother about the raincloud and all that as he isn't being naughty, just finding being upset hard to deal with. Of course he loves his sister, he has probably been taught to, but will still find not getting any attention difficult. A child in my class is in a similar situation, though reacting differently. Let him have time to come to terms with the changes.

4. Thanks for the reply, the other chn are nice to him but e.g. there was an incident in the line outside in the playground this week where he and another child were arguing over who was first and when the other child told him she was first he promptly hit her. I then placed his picture on the raincloud as he had clearly broken one of our class rules about not hitting/hurting others. He therefore sulked the rest of the afternoon wheras the other child acceped being told off for arguing.
    I do try to ignore his huffing but do not want the others to see that 'he is getting away' with this grumpy behaviour and try to copy it. I do also feel that it has a negative effect on them. They don't like to see him like this and try to talk to him to bring him 'round' but I've asked them to ignore him as he has been known to lash out when he's in one of these moods.
    His little brother who is in the class below often displayed similar behaviour last yr but recently he has been very well behaved so it's maybe a case of role reversal.