1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hudl as an e-reader?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by ceehorse, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

I am going on a long trip next year and thought a kindle would be a good idea. However, my daughter has suggested that a hudl might do the job of being an e-reader and all the computer bits too for email and photos. I do not have a modern mobile or a an i-pad.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Try one out in the store first. Perhaps with your daughter if she's used to smartphones and tablets. And check what can be done abroad on wifi, as you'll not want to be paying fees.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

That's a good idea. But what fees do you mean? (sorry if that's a dumb question!)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know this device - but some you have to have a SIM card and pay roaming fees.

i.e. pay to use it abroad on the phone.

I am a little wary of devices that claim to do everything, especially on the cheap. i have seen some that turn out to be bad at everything! Drive you bonkers . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations.

5. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Ah. I see. I'm a bit naive about things like that! (lots, actually) I think it would be simpler if I reverted to my original plan and bought a kindle. I can always check up on emails and stuff at internet cafes.

Thanks for your help.

6. hatemarking

hatemarking New commenter

There is a free kindle app available for the hudl, all books can be loaded onto hudl prior to travel. Best of both worlds and more versatile in the long run