1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hubby just gone into hospital for 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

Some 200 miles away!
    He's gone in for 'holistic' rheumatoid treatment which is fantastic and the first time anyone has suggested this for 30 years. I am really pleased for him.
    BUT - I am on my own (no family) at the worst time when I am not at work. I don't do holidays at the best of time...

2. Marshall

Some 200 miles away!
    He's gone in for 'holistic' rheumatoid treatment which is fantastic and the first time anyone has suggested this for 30 years. I am really pleased for him.
    BUT - I am on my own (no family) at the worst time when I am not at work. I don't do holidays at the best of time...

3. I empathise, and the only advice I can offer is keep busy - at least it's only 3 weeks x

4. Marshall

Thanks - I have a whole lot of 'stuff' to do. But I will still be lonely.

5. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Glad to hear it's not for anything more serious, not that rheumatism isn't serious.
    I hope the 3 weeks passes quickly and he'll be home before you know it. I wonder how many books you can read in 3 weeks, I think there was a thread about that somewhere...

6. Marshall

Thanks - he's had rheumatoid arthritis for 50 years and no one seems to understand that it's more than just joints. His joints are the least of his problems now. Books - I've bought him a Kindle and downloaded a lot - mainly free but classics. He can let me know what he wants. I will go to see him - don't think I won't! He is near is daughter who will spend time with him.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh poor you Marshall! [​IMG]
    My husband works in the tourist trade & I'm often heard to say that rather than a 'golfing widow',I'm a bit like a 'summer holidays widow' as hubby works 6 1/2 days a week over the summer, catching the trade whilst it's actually here-goes dead as a dodo just as soon as Bank holiday arrives at the end of the month.
    So I'm always on my own over the holidays. Lots of reading, clearing & sorting out to do keeps me fairly busy.
    Thinking of you. Sometimes they drive you mad, but we don't half miss them when they're not there don't we?

8. Marshall

Thanks Lara - spot on with your post! I've told hubby that I am totally going to clear up and will chuck loads of stuff away. But.... I will still miss him.

9. Marshall

Proud of myself so far! Had a wobble last night when I couldn't get one of the cats in (we always keep them in at night) but despite checking several times during the night he was fine. I need to just 'go with the flow'.
    Ordered a skip and have begun my massive declutter - just cleared out under the stairs - the first time since 2006 (how embarrasing is that?). Just chucked the lot! Tomorrow is the pantry - can't wait!
    I have also ordered a new garage door instead of waiting for hubby.
    Need to keep busy....

10. Marshall

Still doing well although not really sleeping too good. When I cleared out under the stairs I did a cursory look and then chucked it!
    We have an old barn and I've almost cleared that - you would not believe the size of the spiders but they do run away quickly when I threaten them with a brush. Garage is next. That's more of a challenge - it's a garage for rubbish and old furniture not cars. I've organised the old furniture to be taken away by the council (we originally kept it because the children said they'd have it when we got new but they never did).
    I've also ordered a new garage door and organised for a minor roof repair.
    Sorry - sounds pathetic but I am so proud of myself as I am not good on my own especially during holidays.

11. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

It doesn't sound patheric at all, it sounds great! You are doing so much that obviously needs doing and I think you're amazing.

12. Marshall

Forgot to say - hubby has had arthritis since he was a child so he's not really old and nor am I. Plus - I have had to cancel my holiday. I was going to stay with my sister in Spain for a week (hubby was going on his own later) but I now have to stay at home because we have no-one to look after the cats - it's too late to get them into cattery and I don't have any close neighbours I can (or would) ask.

13. Hope you are ok today/ The week-ends must be the worse?

I hope your husband's treatment works.

I think we always get more done when the men are not around!! Did you make a start on the garage? Good luck!!

14. Marshall

Done the barn and the garage!!! Skip almost full (and it's a big skip). Didn't have much sleep again. Hey Ho.
    Have had to rescue two frogs, a mouse and a bird today from the cats. Good job it doesn't bother me.
    So - one major job almost finished - what now?
    I've obviously got lots of school work to do but I tend to do that late afternoon with morning for jobs.
    Decorating the utility room and downstairs loo is next weeks job.
    [​IMG]

15. Wow I am very impressed!!

16. Marshall

Had a bit of a lull. Spent the day with hubby (3 hour journey both ways) at the weekend. Paint bought for the decorating - starting tomorrow.
    Feel flat - I suppose that is normal.[​IMG]

17. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

I think you're doing really well.
    Would you like to come here and sort out my loft?

18. Marshall

Oh no - the loft - I haven't even though about that...rushes off to check!!!!![​IMG]

19. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Well that'll keep you busy for a few more days!

20. Marshall

Poked my head into the loft - that's as far as I got. House is 200 years old and luckily there's not much up there - just massive human eating spiders. Even one of the cats (who followed me up the ladder) wouldn't venture in there!
    Starting to sleep better now - thank goodness.