1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Huawei banned

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, May 16, 2019 at 7:36 AM.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

Trump has just signed an Executive Order clearly designed to destroy Huawei, by making it next-to-impossible for Americans, or America's allies, from buying their products. Quite right too. After all, Huawei is spying on us, listening in to our conversations in our own homes, gathering our personal information and selling it for profit..

Or was that Google, Facebook, Amazon et al?

hplovegame48 likes this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

That's good news and about time. That Theresa May has decided (or been told by her civil servants) to open up this country's communications systems to infiltration by a front for Chinese intelligence is awful news.
    True, Huawei has offered to promise to not spy on us so it'll probably be okay.

Oh, and the things you accuse Huawei of doing so you can take a swipe at Western companies are not why Huawei is a threat. Huawei is a threat because
    http://theconversation.com/whats-wr...ng-the-chinese-telecommunications-firm-109036

lexus300 likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My son who works in cyber security says it was crazy for the Government to consider this firm. They indeed should not be allowed in the security system even if it saves the government a lot of costs.
    Personally I do not think the Chinese should be considered for building Nuclear reactors either...not that the french contractors have been doing well!

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We should take their actions as a warning of what we can potentially expect.

Surely buying any hardware from Huaweii is just giving them a foot in the door? Once it's in place, "we can help you with that" becomes a much smaller step on the way to installing software to help run it all. Spying and surveillance are one aspect, just shutting the whole network down (for instance) or parts thereof is much easier and far reaching.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Quite right. Unfortunately, we don't follow that precept when buying military tech from the USA despite considerable funding from us. It seems the USA wants to dictate to the World who the World trades with.

6. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Implying that the security threats mentioned this year weren't fixed about three years ago.

Anyone freaking out over this is deluded. You think Cisco aren't as corrupt as all hell?

I'd worry a lot less about the infrastructure if I trusted the data integrity. However, I don't.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is actually no evidence whatsoever against the company.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Trouble is, a lot of microelectronics is made in China now - even stuff like Apple that sounds as if it's made somewhere else.
    I am not in a position to evaluate the risks of Huawei products, but would expect that if there is a risk from Huawei product there may well be risk from other electronics produced by other companies.
    This is another reason why outsourcing is not nearly as good as it seems.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

They should have promised to build a factory in Tyneside, where their name is already well known.

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

And then my eyes rolled back so far I could hear them hit the back of my skull...dunk dunk.

LondonCanary likes this.
  11. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

This is actually capitalism in action. If it's cheaper to make something in China, even if it results in a product that could undermine and destabilise the West, some companies will do it, fearing being undercut by competitors if they don't.

12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's an economic war dressed up as security concerns.

Alexa and Siri are spying on you constantly but theyre not Chinese.

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That is to conflate two separate issues. There are personal privacy issues with Alexa, Siri, Google home, Cortana et al as well as with all data one puts into insecure devices and browsers. A company such as Huawei building the infrastructure of a communications network and controlling all the data centres, switching and monitoring equipment and with the power to cripple the system in times of conflict are a national security risk. The argument is that Huawei is beholden to the Chinese government in a way that makes it impossible to act independently or to resist facilitating acts of espionage or cyber warfare.

It is not a new problem; there have always been a number of areas of US government procurement where foreign sourced electronics are not permitted to be used at all. This obviously affects joint programmes with intelligence partners and it is a growing issue, particularly with large scale transition to cloud services for government agencies.

LondonCanary likes this.
  14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Who's to say that Google, Apple etc won't be 'beholden' to overnments when the need arises?
    Should any government decide that the time had come for an authoritarian, big brother state, all of the technology is in place and we have willingly, blindly, walked into that situation.
    The warfare of the (not too distant) future is just as likely to be waged on a government's own citizens as it is on other nations.

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Granted that may well be the case, although at the moment both those companies only use the outputs of the UK system rather than control the structural hardware and networking that make it work. But it is still a reasonable point, and I think it would make more sense that essential government communications infrastructure is not contracted wholesale to any independent company, but should be treated as a defence procurement and controlled as a national asset.

artboyusa and LondonCanary like this.