1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Huawei and 5G

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 24, 2019.

?

Should the UK use Huawei?

1. Yes, fully

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Yes, to the extent agreed

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No, it compromises our security

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is a Chinese company to be trusted updating the UK's phone infrastructure?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48032286

The American's have warned about security compromises .... but then I suspect American companies were in competition on the contract.

Then again, Huawei is only being used for the antennas and other basic equipment. They won't be rolling out the core elements.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

There were reports some time ago that everything done on a Huawei phone was uploaded to China via inbuilt software/hardware. Thats enough for me. China already has far too much property and influence in this country. I do not trust them ... at all. We should have nothing to do with them on the basis of their human rights violations.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My last upgrade was a Huawei. Tempted to ask them to change it back.

4. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

I like how people freak out over Huawei.

If anyone actually realised how much data is traded, lost, and stolen in a single day, their head might explode. You can literally go buy passwords, credit card information, and government identification online for cheap as chips.

Huawei really are a minor concern in data security. The only reason for the panic is that it's a Chinese company that the US can't possibly compete with on fair terms. Do you think that other manufacturers don't mess with your data and "share" it with "necessary partners"?

5. Bobbbs

Why? If you own anything made by Sony, LG, or Apple, you've lost data. If you've ever signed up to Yahoo, Adobe, or any store loyalty program, you've lost data.

The worry about Huawei has nothing to do with every day usage, it's the worry the US have over Huawei intercepting government secrets. Which is a stupid worry seeing as Chinese products are used almost entirely throughout the whole ecosystem. Unless you clean it all out, it's a pointless exercise.

Seriously, this is a sad attempt to make more money for homegrown endeavors. Huawei is evil? Eh, what about all the other Chinese owned, made, or assembled IT products we use?

6. bumchuckle

bumchuckle Occasional commenter

7. Bobbbs

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

If you really believe the Chinese are benign, helpful, and willing to do stuff in our interest you must be living on another planet (one they don't own half of).

Dragonlady30 and artboyusa like this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Absolutely no way. I can't believe this is actually going ahead. It's like the UK giving Messerschmitt a contract to build Spitfires in 1939.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That’s to look at it from the wrong level. The concerns about Huawei are about the threat to national security, not about data mining average Joe’s personal data ala Facebook etc. Huawei are seen as an agent of an aggressive foreign intelligence service, and allowing them deep access and control into the country’s communications and data networking service is deemed very risky. The UK recognises the dangers but ministers are blathering about being able to ‘manage the risk’ - a nonsense that severely worries allies with whom we share intelligence, who would prefer not to let them into the system in the first place.

dleaf12 and artboyusa like this.