1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

http://splasho.com/upgoer5/ Can you simplify?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Feb 5, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It is a force. It makes things fall down. A big thing has a force field. A very big and heavy thing sort of pulls other things towards it. A man saw something you can eat that dropped from a tree. He had a think about why it fell. People say little things work like this too but you have to be good at knowing about numbers to explain it.

http://splasho.com/upgoer5/

OK, try to explain the difference between a scalene and a right-angled triangle using the text editor.

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

ooohh I am going to like that app - when I can get it to work. Will try another browser later.

3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Well, I've found out it won't allow 'shape', 'square', or 'angle' so far!

It's going to be a challenge!

4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Thre's a bug perhaps - it was behaving very badly when I tried it.

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

One of these things has three lines, that join together at their ends, to make a three sided form. Each of these sides is different because each is longer or shorter than the other two.

One of these things is also a three sided form and has two of its lines that join together at one place to make a corner which is a real corner because it is....I give up.

grumpydogwoman and marlin like this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

>Sigh<

racroesus and Didactylos4 like this.
  7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

You would have to have a diagram in order for the image to represent what is the crux of the problem - namely that it is about a definition of something's representation. "scalene" is a representation and so is its diagram. The representation cannot be missing, but must be explicit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:
    [​IMG]

cissy3 and Eureka! like this.
  9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Interesting how (diagram,description) could be homomorphic to (word,definition).

10. grumpydogwoman

No!!!

You can't have diagrams. It has to be done using the text editor. That's the point of the thread.

11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Some people are to language as chocolate is to fire-guard.

12. grumpydogwoman

@cissy3

You're so close. Go on. You can do it.

How about describing ..... the difference between a liquid and a solid?

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

One three sided thing has all sides different the other has the same but also two sides that join like a door corner.

14. grumpydogwoman

One is hard like a table or your head. It won't change how it looks when it gets hot or cold. It won't change on its own.

The other thing will change and look different if you put it in a tall glass or a short but wide glass. It might change if it gets hot or cold. Water is like this. It can move a lot more easily than the hard stuff. You can knock it over and it will get things wet.

15. grumpydogwoman

Corner!

It allows corner. But not pour, shape or spill!

16. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I know! But thinking about representation has given me a clue as to how to progress. Would one need to be able to use "type" or "sort" or similar? Then one could say "Type 1 three sided thing has <description> ". "Type 2 three sided thing has <description>".

@grumpydogwoman Is that "explaining the difference" though, or are you happy with 2 descriptions? If not, what does "explain the difference" actually mean?"

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I have a feeling the 1000 word vocab is best used for explanations rather than definitions...

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Walk, turn, walk, turn so that you can walk to where you started from, walk. If you walked different distances each from the others between each turn you have walked along a scalene.
    It might even be right-angled.
    3,4,5 for the numerate geometers.

19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

You're using banned words there Rac...

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter