1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HTML in descriptions

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by thinky, Feb 14, 2018.

1. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

The new editor for descriptions completely butchered my attempts at copying and pasting in (from a plain text editor).

Took me several attempts to copy text in and then when done I was unable to list sentences in lines (it insisted on pulling them all on one line).

I resorted to making each sentence into a bullet list instead but this looks a bit ugly as the sentences introducing the list don't align too well.

Example here. You can see that the opening sentence for each list appears to be attached to the list above it.

I see that html links don't work any more - had to use the markdown system instead. Am hoping this won't mean that existing resources will lose previous html if/when edited?

2. charliep86

charliep86 New commenter Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hello @thinky - we released a set of changes yesterday to the resource uploader/editor, which enables you to add formatting to your resource descriptions, rather than having to add html tags. We were seeing lots of authors adding html to their resource descriptions, which in some instances caused the pages to break. These changes allow you to safely add formatting to your descriptions without risking breaking the page!

Please note though that this is currently only available for creating *new* resources, and is not yet available for old resources or for bundles. We are in the process of making the additional changes required to add this editing functionality to these too.

We will also be converting all existing descriptions, including those that contain html, to this new system. If you go and edit any old resources, you won't see the new markdown editor at the moment.

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue you highlight in your comment above though, could you please clarify what you mean? What issues were you having when you were trying to copy and paste content across from your plain text editor? And, out of curiousity, why is it that you write up your descriptions separately before you upload your resource?

Thanks for raising the issue of text alignment in lists, we'll take a look into that.

Thanks,

Charlie :)

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

In my case, it saves me having to think about what I want to say as I'm writing it. I can get it just the way I want it, tweak and reword it however I want to, then simply paste the completed description in.

FullShelf and Krazikas like this.
  4. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

My descriptions are written and saved in plain text editors along with my resources so that I can easily access anything I need when adding a resource to wherever it goes which can be here, my own site, catalogues etc. There us also the issue of not risking wasting time writing up a description only to lose it if the browser or your site crashes.

my first attempt to copy and paste was fine. When I then ammended a paragraph and attempted to copy that in it wouldn't accept it.

In the end I had to delete it and start afresh. It was then that I discovered it had incorrectly formatted line breaks meaning I had to edit again.

I then learned that the markup method doesn't work with html tags and I had to edit again and read the help to figure out how to add a link.

FullShelf and Krazikas like this.
  5. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I, too, copy and paste. Lots of my resources have a similar format. It is going to take much longer to write descriptions. Why can't we just have html tags for urls like it was in the very early days? It seems like all the recent changes (previews in particular) are working against authors and making things more time-consuming and complex. Why can't we just 'keep it simple'? It would be good to seek author consultation on such changes or have a trial run before implementing them site- wide. Yet - things that clearly need addressing are left ....:confused:

6. Krazikas

Thanks for raising the issue of text alignment in lists, we'll take a look into that.

Thanks,

Charlie :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Charlie

when you create a list with bullets in the description there is no space after the last bulleted item - so the text that follows is bunched up and not spaced out properly. Could you have a look into that to allow a space after a list? I have attached a link to the resource so that you can see what I mean.

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...port-white-rose-maths-scheme-11838951?theme=1

7. Krazikas

Hi Charlie

when you create a list with bullets in the description there is no space after the last bulleted item - so the text that follows is bunched up and not spaced out properly. Could you have a look into that to allow a space after a list? I have attached a link to the resource so that you can see what I mean.

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...port-white-rose-maths-scheme-11838951?theme=1[/QUOTE]

Hi @charliep86

have you had chance to have a look at this??

PuzzleFun likes this.
  8. PuzzleFun

PuzzleFun New commenter

Krazikas likes this.
  9. Krazikas

10. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello,

Please can you contact the Customer Services Team in the first instance to log the issue? Please send an email to help@tes.com. Thank you.

11. Krazikas

Already did this some time ago - but will try again. I thought the 'teccy' guys from TES on here might have picked it up.

12. TES_Rosaline

Thank you for letting me know @Krazikas. I'll flag up the recent posts to the techies.

Krazikas likes this.
  13. Krazikas

Thank you!

14. TES_Rosaline