1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HT recruitment and salary negotiations

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Lindzloo, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Lindzloo

Lindzloo New commenter

I recently applied for my first HT post and had a phone call to say there had been some restructuring within the trust and the position was no longer available, yet they were still interested and had several other HT position in other schools within the trust. They offered an interview, which I accepted
    (experience needed of the process) the interview was set up for the following week. The interview was then cancelled four days before due to a member of the panel being now ' unavailable'

Is this a tactical move to advertise a good/ outstanding schools then present other schools in more challenging circumstances?

I have been directed by the trust to consider an RI school? There is no indication of salary also. I really need to know the salary range- how do I approach this before interview?? I'm just so confused with the whole bizarre process. Any advice greatly appreciated regarding salary negotiations or anything else!!!

Or do I just wait and see what else comes up? I'd be happy with a Sep 18 start so I have time on my side.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd run a mile and not look back.
    I'm looking at DH posts, like you for Sept. 18, and any school which messes about or has a weird application process is rejected. I couldn't be working for the kind of disorganised company you describe.

Jesmond12 and alexanderosman like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

My take on salary negotiations is to bend the ear of a friend of mine who is a salesman He is great at giving advice on how to handle interviews and salary negotiations. He knows nothing about teaching but, so what, I don't need his help for that. I will often run through likely scenarios with him and then adapt my retiring style to match his go-getting advice.

Similarly do you have a friend (or other half) who is used to sales or private companies middle-management who could help you play "What if....." games beforehand? Well worth investing in a few drinks for this.

4. Startedin82

Startedin82 Occasional commenter

@Lindzloo - remember that prospective Heads are relatively rare creatures. It's a buyers market - especially in certain parts of the country. Take your time and the right job will come up.

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomz like this.