1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HT organising meetings during my McCrone Time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ahappybunny, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ahappybunny

ahappybunny New commenter

In the past few weeks my HT has twice organised a meeting in which I've been expected to attend and it's coincided with my McCrone time. Is he allowed to do this?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry, never heard of McCrone time. What is it?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think, @ahappybunny, that you would be more likely to get a reply in a Scotland forum than on here where it's E&W.

Just scroll down the forum list to find them.

You can also read up about it yourself HERE

(Translation for rest of us : McCrone Time = PPA).

Best wishes

ahappybunny likes this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You can always spot the Millennials in your workplace because they look at you blankly when you mention 'Baker Days.'

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes. Some of your non-contact is for your own prep, marking etc. but a proportion is whole school stuff. I think it's 5 hours a week.

ahappybunny likes this.
  7. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Meetings with the Head always seem to be arranged in PPA time for me as well. But it's something that happens a couple of times per year rather than on daily basis, and it would seem silly to have to set cover just so I can attend a meeting.

If it happens frequently then I think that's a problem. If your role requires you to have regular meetings with the head, then that implies to me that you've got some kind of extra responsibility which could involve an extra non-contact per week.

I know my HoD has weekly meetings with a member of SLT, but they have increased non-contact time so this seems fair enough. On normal 10% PPA I don't think meetings should be a regular occurence.

ahappybunny likes this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's not PPA, though.

We are contracted to 35 hours a week, 22.5 class contact time, 7.5 for prep, planning etc. and 5 for collegiate stuff. Meetings with other staff is exactly what some of those 5 hours of contracted non-contact are for. "McCrone time" is protected in that you shouldn't be working over 22.5 hours contact time not that you can't be asked to do other duties relating to your job.

The only issue here would be if the HT was regularly asking the OP to do more than 5 hours of whole school stuff in a week. And even then then quantity and not the timing would be the issue.

ahappybunny likes this.