1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HT off sick - where do I start??

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by kanofworms, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I've been a DH since September, love my job and have had a really supportive head. Unfortunately, she has just been signed off for 'health reasons', and I have been told not to contact her.
    I'm now acting head until her return, which apparently could be longer than 6 weeks, and would like some advice from heads as to things I need to prioritise over the coming weeks, and make sure there's nothing vital that falls off the wagon! Safeguarding is an obvious one, but what else?
    I have a 0.4 teaching responsibility, so will need to take that into consideration. Would it be ok to get in a supply to cover this time, or should I see how things go?
    Thanks in anticipation of some advice (and hopefully no abuse about how I should know everything if I have taken the role of DH).

2. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Personally I would look to steadying status quo - staff will feel unsettled as will parents and children so your first job is to show you have everything under control.
    Carry on as she woud have, deal with behaviour issues, look at what meetings are vital to continue, look at sdp - what would your school have been doing and continue that, obviously safeguarding role. Also look at what is essential for your school - is your head on any committees that you can excuse yourself from at this point so giving yourself more time in school? Our head sits on about 6 committees and 4 of these would not be continued if I had to take over as his deputy.
    Get in touch with other local heads for their advice, or ask via LA for support to help prioritise or for a friendly headteacher who would be prepared to be at the end of the phone. Also get SMT together and explain you will need their support to help keep things going, maybe one of them could take on one aspect/agree to bounce ideas to support you. See how you feel about the teaching aspect - one the one hand you may want to drop it to give time to the head's role on the other hand it may keep you sane! Again advice from other heads may help here.
    You don't have to know all the answers you just need to know where to find them :)

3. Would you like to make contact by PM? I'm in a similar position and it may be good to bounce off each other with ideas and questions.

I've been in the post of DH since January myself.

4. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

I found myself in a similar position a couple of years ago and have to say I enjoyed every minute of it. I got to do loads of stuff I wouldn't normally have done and got some valuable experience.

5. Make sure everyone is ok and has what they need and don't put anything tricky off or work will mount up. If you have a late meeting or are just tired a cover teacher for your 0.4 would be a worthwhile investment some weeks. You need to stay on top form.

6. Totally agree with this, you may need cover and you will get tired! Make sure everyone is OK, ask people to tell you anything they had recently asked for etc, just on the grounds that you dont want to miss anything, that will keep the ship sailing straight. The HT's PA/Sec should also be a mine of information, I rely on mine a great deal to do the day to day so don't be afraid to ask her/him if their is anything glaring you have missed. Good Luck and Enjoy.