1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HT Appraisal

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cornflake, Jan 22, 2019.

1. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

So, governors want to review my targets (which were set in Sept) and set completely new ones.... (I've had a complete change of Governors...).
    Am I right in thinking that they can set whatever targets they want? i.e. I don't have to agree with what they want to set?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If they want a complete review, rather than just a normal mid year review and tweaking, then insist on the independent adviser being present to ensure it is reasonable. I wouldn’t find it acceptable to change them all at this stage. They were presumably agreed and signed. Be very wary and maybe have a discussion with your union.

3. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Hmmm...that's worrying that a completely new change of governors want to do that. I set mine with my School Improvement Partner, drafts are then sent to the governor committee responsible, and then we thrash it out at the formal meeting..I'd be very wary of them 'imposing' objectives on you..at any point in the year.

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I think your union should be involved in this too.

However, I do think governors can set whatever targets they like and they can impose them on you without your agreement. Although I think you can add an addendum giving your reasons for opposing the targets.

5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

They can set anything they like pretty much at the start of the cycle but once set, they follow them for the the, even if you've achieved/exceeded all of them by Christmas. They certainly can't rewrite them all midway through. Go to LA lead governor or academy advisory lead ASAP as this is not acceptable practice.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Almost half way through the academic year, it’s pointless changing them, best to wait until September and review / change them.

7. cornflake

Thanks everyone.
    Meeting took nearly 3 hours.. but external advisor was present.
    In case this is useful for anyone else, union advice is that governors can rewrite targets, and can impose them if you are minded not to agree with them...

nomad likes this.
  8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I hope the new focus was not unreasonable, cornflake. I’m glad the adviser was there.

digoryvenn likes this.
  9. digoryvenn

Hope it all went well Cornflake.
    You must have been exhausted by the end of the meeting!

nomad likes this.
  10. cornflake

And the outcome of that three hour meeting...... they didn't change the objectives!!!!

nomad and digoryvenn like this.
  11. digoryvenn

Wow!!
    Talk about playing games!

nomad likes this.