1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HT application

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by stevehdep, Oct 11, 2017.

1. stevehdep

stevehdep New commenter

This is a bit of a query, as the situation has quite upset me, so sorry for this:

I am currently an acting headteacher, having been deputy in the school for fifteen years. I have applied for the permanent post, and today was the shortlisting.

Whether or not I am shortlisted is not the issue, but what has upset me is that no-one from the governing body has told me one way or the other, or even spoken to me about it. I realise that the LA who are managing the process will make the contacts, but as the person doing the job currently, wouldn't it be at the very least courteous for the chair to drop me an email, mention it or give me a call?
    Am I expecting too much?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Yes, a headship managed by the LA should be just that. We had your situation once and the internal applicant had to wait to be told with others. That is right in a fair process. Don’t take it any other way.

3. Startedin82

Startedin82 Occasional commenter

As an applicant/candidate you will be treated exactly the same as the others. That's only right and proper.

LoopyLew likes this.
  4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Are you sure that they definitely did the shortlisting on the day that they proposed? Something else that required more attention might have cropped up.
    As a HT who was appointed this year in the same school that I was the Deputy Headteacher in, I was told on the same day that external candidates were told. Just because you work in the school already doesn’t mean you get preferential treatment.

I’m assuming by now that you will know if you got shortlisted.

What are you going to do if the governors decide to employ an external candidate to the HT role?

If it was me, I would ask for feedback as to where I can improve going forward and then support the new HT in their new role. They will be relying on the support of their DHT and SLT as they start in their new school. Do the best you can to help them, but still continue to look at options to progress in your career. If an external candidate gets the HT role, they’ll probably know you applied for it, so they’ll know that you are seeking a HT vacancy. You need to let them know of this, probably not the best idea to do it when you first meet with them.

Good luck in your application!