1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HS2 to go ahead.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Feb 11, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

At least as far as Birmingham.
    [​IMG]

Is it supposed to look like The Stig?

[​IMG]

needabreak, colpee and Jamvic like this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Not that I want the bloody thing or think it at all necessary (why on earth should we pay all this terrible amount of money to take 20 mins travelling time for the Tory politicians now representing constituencies north of Watford?) Now we in the north are going to be paying for it and not receiving any 'service' at all !!

jellycowfish and Kandahar like this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's strikingly reminiscent of this.

upload_2020-2-11_18-16-52.png

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I was sorry not to see any attempt to deal with two of the greatest failings of the proposals:

Terminating at Euston instead of St Pancras will mean that folk from the Midlands and North who intend to continue their train journey into Europe will have to hump their cases along the Euston Road, or take a one-stop tube ride, to St Pancras.

The Birmingham terminus at Curzon Street is seriously inconvenient, with no clear access to the main Birmingham rail-hub at New Street.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's not going to be much use for the majority of them: it shoots straight through most of those constituencies without stopping.

needabreak and Kandahar like this.
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

And does nothing to address the North's biggest need: cross country.

lanokia likes this.
  7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Apparently it will go up to Crewe. I gather that they are also trying to move up the timeline a little.
    I'm sure it will move across eventually. Apparently it was a cost thing.

8. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

The mind boggles. It'll be interesting to see if it's all that it pumped up to be.

9. Duke of York

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of imagination to install a moving walkway between the two stations. All the supermarkets round my way, have what they claim to be walkways to get from the car park into the store.

It's something that frequently puzzles me, because these so-called "walkways" are intended to be escalators you can put a trolley on. The trolley wheels are designed to lock into the walkway for safety reasons, but that of course, prevents any walking on them. Our local Sainsburys gives out announcements as you reach the end, which say "Please remember to push your trolley off the walkway." It makes these announcements whether of not you have a trolley and the "walkways are right next to the checkouts, so checkout staff have to listen to this nonsense all day long.

I suspect some of them sabotage the "walkways", because there's barely a month goes by when they stop working and everyone has to use the lifts instead, which incidentally don't give the message of "Please remember to push your trolley out of the lift."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    JL48 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Ever since Marie Lloyd first sang "Oh Mr Porter, it's been the fear of train travellers hoping to alight at Birmingham, that they'd be taken on to Crewe.

blazer and emerald52 like this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It'll cause chaos round here - in fact it already is eating up the countryside. It'll pass about 2miles as the crow flies from us. :(

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Huawei.
    HS2.
    This government is running up some really bad calls in a really short space of time.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I want HS2. I want high speed rail. More and more people crammed into the existing network.

But... I'm not convinced this will increase capacity and I have no idea how the cost has got so high. I saw a cost comparison (adjusted for inflation) and this is costing more than the Panama Canal. (Please someone tell me I'm wrong)

15. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

You are wrong. We need to slow down, travel less, and consder east to west rather than the obsession with south to north.

Nellyfuf2 and lindenlea like this.
  16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I think that the issue is that the London to Birmingham section is at once the most expensive part, the most difficult part, the most basic / essential part and yet the part that will bring the fewest immediate changes. Once built, however, I'm hopeful the rest will fall into place and it can be the beginning of a countrywide network.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I love going South to Paris and back in day. Much better than the old eight hour trip via Calais or Dieppe. Or I could go west to Swansea in about the same journey time.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You in the North are unlikely to be paying anything towards it.

19. Duke of York

Something I read recently, said the cost depends on how many trains per hour they run on The cost doubles for every additional train they add to the timetable.

20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The need for extra tunnelling and cuttings to placate affected communities, 2011 prices no longer apply, poor initial cost estimates, poor initial surveys, longer project duration.