1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HRT --- full steam ahead?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eureka!, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Forget the high speed train ... HRT is where it's at ... and apparently now is pretty low risk, after all. Anyone going back to the doc and asking for the pills?

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My doc won't let me have it. Apparently it isn't a good idea for women who've had booby lumps, especially the sinister sort.

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

HAve you not seen the newspapers today RedQuilt?

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

My doc has spent about 30 years telling me how dangerous it is ..... you mean she was wrong?

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I will happily ask for drugs to get me through it when the time comes.

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

No... is it online?

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

@Eureka! I could hug you and give you a sloppy kiss for highlighting this :). I probably wouldn't be aware of it if you hadn't.

I'll be speaking to my doc next week.

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This new study was based on just 30? Participants.

Scientist on radio 4 Today pointed out that the majority of studies concluded there is a risk. Can be used for a short while if symptoms are really bad -but still heightened risks of breast /ovarian cancer etc.

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Ignore Lizzie, RedQuilt ... she doesn't even understand the question! ;)

kibosh and RedQuilt like this.
  11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I used it for 11 years. Wonderful! Could not have continued teaching without it. The risks are minimal if you are a non smoker and not overweight. I read all the research in detail. It put my breast cancer risk up from 33 to 34 per 1000 but protected me from osteoporosis and ovarian cancer. Being overweight and a smoker puts you at much higher risk . My very overweight sister in law was scathing about me taking it.

12. lizziescat

?

Yeh. Just ignore those educated people who have spent years Learnng their subject and follow what a journalist (who has no other agenda , of course).
    Journalism is ,of course, a reliable source of in depth analysis and evaluation of research.

13. lizziescat

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Apparently the newly-published data is based on a study of 80 women.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Radio 4 Today program had the cancer expert, you mention, on who was very antagonistic to the study. She stated that it was only based on 80 people in comparison to all the other studies of "millions" in her words. She felt there was still a link to cancer and could not understand why the media had picked this particular study up to give it a lot of publicity. She said that HRT is an important treatment for women who are suffering badly from the bad effects of the menopause but that it should not be continued indefinitely.

A friend of mine took HRT and it helped her a great deal. But she did stop taking it after a few years and does not need it any more. I can not claim to be very knowledgeable on HRT but this seems to be the way that doctors want to prescribe it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

errmmm I was only having a joke about your signature Lizzie! :)

kibosh likes this.
  17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Yes, it is a small sample involved in the study but for women like me it offers, perhaps, a small glimmer of hope. I'm lucky that I don't need hrt yet as I'm only working towards the menopause but because of my medical history it's a fairly grim prospect if I can't have anything to help me through it. Hopefully this study will widen and give a clearer picture.

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, I think the study may have been seized by the pro-HRT sector to promote their interests.

80 is not a significant sample size. Like anything else you digest/ingest etc etc the long-term benefits/penalties are not going to be known for some time. So we, as a species, being all about the quick fix do tend to opt for instant results. Which is fine. But we ought all to remember to check our intake periodically.

kibosh likes this.
  19. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

?

20. lizziescat

Ahh
    LC being really thick here

kibosh and Eureka! like this.