1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HRH Social distancing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Mar 27, 2020.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm presuming that is digitally altered Theo? Or else the rest of the Royal Family are standing much too close!. :p

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I do like a good joke. You know me, always the first in line to be bawdy and witty.

However this is not a good joke. So I shall be first in line to tsk tsk at it.

Is it meant to be anti royalist?
    Is it meant to be satire?
    No-it is laughing at the situation of somebody who has Coronavirus.

ajrowing likes this.
  4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

It's an old picture from the days when Charles was on an all brassica diet....

:D

5. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I think it's funny.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Probably not
    Obviously yes
    It’s dark humour admittedly but I think it’s hilarious.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I have copied it and sent it all over the world. I think it is very funny.

monicabilongame and TheoGriff like this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

... and Prince Louis, at nearly two, has regressed to be a babe in arms.

agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.
  9. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Prince Charles is currently self-isolating in Balmoral with Corona 19. Prince Andrew is self-isolating in Windsor with Donna 16.

Dunteachin likes this.
  10. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Ho ho

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Now, there's an irony.

12. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

A statement was released earlier: "I am afraid One does rather bring the opprobrium upon Oneself. Whilst the guidance is to stay at One's primary residence it simply does not apply to One. Can people not get a NHS doctor to do a house-visit? One just gets a servant to use the Edison device. Am i the first to be tested in the UK with mild symptoms? I should bloody well think so. How is that moor fire going?"

Dunteachin and TheoGriff like this.
  13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well now . . .

• Stay at home, except for essential shopping, pharmacy, health visits or exercise
    • All over 70s to stay at home for 12 weeks, whether or not have symptoms
    • No non-essential travel
    • Just because you normally go on holiday at this time of year doesn't make it essential travel
    • Do not move to a second home, especially not in a rural area where you will put added strain on scarce resources
    • If one day you have symptoms, then immediate self-isolation in your home. Where you are at that point
    • If one day you have symptoms, do not subsequently catch a plane putting travel company employees at risk
    • If one day you have symptoms, do not subsequently travel to a remote rural area risking taking the virus with you
    • If one day you have symptoms, do not break the quarantine and go to another home putting more staff at risk
    • If your symptoms are "very mild", do not expect, or request, a home visit from a Dr at a time of national emergency
    • If your symptoms are "very mild", do not expect, or request, a Covid-19 test at a time of national emergency
    • If your symptoms are "very mild", do not expect, or request, a NHS Covid-19 test at a time of national shortage

Anything I've missed?

Keep safe, everyone

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually yes, there is something you have missed and yet at the same time very clearly delineated, which is that Coronavirus is a serious thing. It is absolutely not funny for the person who has it, but more importantly thinking wider, which is missing from your joke, it is absolutely not funny for anybody who is afraid.
    I would be the last person to reject something which is inherently funny-most of my posts rely on subverting logic and quite a few times I offer a laugh at the expense of logic. And sometimes at the expense of others. And sometimes I offend, granted. My slapstick is not everybody's.
    However, what I have never done and never will do is laugh at the expense of somebody who may die, no matter how public the figure, no matter how prominent, no matter how contentious their provenance or standing.

There is another ongoing thread about Boris at the moment, on it's way right now to righteous polarisation-
    "Ha, serves him right"
    versus
    "Leave him be, it's serious for him and for the public"

On one fundamental level, joking about PC's condition offers exactly the same sandwich of wrongness-he's famous with he may die. And the filling is a big ha ha.
    That combination alone is enough to make me sad.

I do like your wisdom, I do read your posts, I do admire your frequent advice.
    But I don't like this particular joke, even if I'm alone it that,

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I didn’t get any of that from the original post.
    Just saw it as a whimsical statement of fact - PC is avoiding all contact with family (including, I would hop with Camilla - they have enough rooms to accommodate compete separation)
    Perhaos we all interpret messages according to our own mindset?

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Me too!
    Funny what we wish for when isolated...

Lidnod likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"I SAID HOW LONG HAS ONE WORKED IN THIS FACTORY?"

slingshotsally likes this.
  18. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

It depends on the person and on the topic.. Most people are afraid of death- and there's no shortage of jokes about it. Anyone who takes Christianity seriously (and quite a few others fear the end of the World- I'm just catching up on Good Omens from TV- I gather it had decent viewing figures. Most things that we find funny are close to the bone for someone, often for ourselves- they either trample insensitively over our fears, or play with our inner prejudices.

So it was wrong to joke about social distancing but OK to joke about perceptions of comeliness?

humour like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Gallows humour!

It wasn't a pop at Charles. My first reaction was "social distancing, haha!".
    I thought it very amusing.

And, thank goodness he only has mild symptoms. That's why we can laugh. He isn't going to die.

That's what I don't get about this virus - why is it very mild for some and deathly for others? Young, fit, healthy people are being killed by it.

20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It is still mainly related to age and underlying health conditions. While the daily litany of the newly dead is frightening to hear, many of those people would have died anyway in the next few months from their pre-existing health burdens. Covid-19 has simply moved the process forward.

Young people dying from Covid-19 are so rare (and so sad) that they get highlighted in the press, so they seem more prevalent than they really are in terms of statistics. I don't know if researchers really knopw why some young people without underlying health conditions are struck down - I guess it could turn out that they do in fact have such underlying conditions of which they are unaware (think of the occasional 20-something who dies from a stroke or heart attack).

agathamorse, Dunteachin and TheoGriff like this.
  21. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yep, Florian. I need to stop reading the news. It only contains distressing reports.☹

TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.