1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HR Governor Sub Committee

Discussion in 'Governors' started by mandypaul1977, Feb 27, 2019.

1. mandypaul1977

mandypaul1977 New commenter

Good Morning I am new to this forum and a newly elected staff governor. At present I am not part of a subcommittee and would like to be part of the HR committee, however I have been told that I am ineligible to be part of that committee due to me being a member of staff. I am looking online to find this in writing and have not seen anything, can someone advice on this or please point me in the right direction for advice on this.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you in an LA maintained school or an academy? Where the 'rules' are is different. The rules are more detailed for LA schools but same principles apply to academies.

There's no national rule that says a staff governor can't serve on an HR Committee of the governing body. Not as such. But there are rules about conflicts of interest and rules that prohibit any any governor who works at the school being present at a GB/Committee meeting when the pay or performance of any staff member is discussed.

That's why most governing b bodies would say that staff governors should not serve on HR-type committees. They would frequently not be able to take pat in the discussion and have to leave the room.

Whether such a rule exists nationally is rather beside the point anyway. It is up to the GB to set its own procedures for committee membership so they can choose to bar staff governors if they want to.

Incidentally, they are 'Committees', not 'Sub-committees'.

Lattelady likes this.
  3. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

Absolutely agree with Rottweiler... same reasons as you cannot sit on staff disciplinary, it is not appropriate. If we were discussing redundancies, you would be on the other side of the door, just as you would be at the FGB meeting.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It would be more appropriate to look at the committee's terms of reference. I suspect that is where you will find the membership criteria.