1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HP Instant Ink issue

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Aug 19, 2019.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

A recently inserted ink cartridge has failed ( colour ) and this is indicated on the printer and via the app. I am instructed to replace it . Anyone else had this problem ? I need to tell HP to post another . Assume I have to phone ? The printer is only 8 months old and hardly used. The black cartridge seems to be functional but the support seems a bit hit and miss and currently not available. The virtual chat will not address my issue.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03775543

Tells you how to speak to a live person.

If the previous steps did not resolve the issue or the ink cartridge is damaged, contact Support from your HP Instant Ink homepage.
    1. Go to hpinstantink.com/signin(the HP Connected website) to sign in to your HP Instant Ink account.
    2. If a Virtual Agent button appears at the top of the page, click it and then type "cartridge problem" to get more help, or "agent" to speak to a live representative.
    3. To find a phone number for HP Support in your location, follow these steps:
      1. Click Contact HP Support in the Help Center area of the account page.
      2. Select Chat Now or Get Phone Number (Chat is not available in all countries)
      3. Fill in the form and then click Chat Now or Submit.
      4. For phone support, call the number displayed and be prepared to provide the case number that is displayed on the contact page.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    lanokia and strawbs like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

With my HP printer the ink cartridges were just basically for testing. Even so they've lasted for about six years because I didn't do much printing. With the printer handbook you should also get a little plastic card with the numbers of the cartridges needed. Get them off Amazon.

Or just type your printer model number re cartridges into Amazon.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I enrolled for instant ink so HP monitors your usage and sends out new cartridges when you need them @£1.99 a month.The initial tester lasted a while but I recently replaced them. Black showing to be correctly inserted and the colour indicating problem. It won't send me replacements until I have rectified ... a bit Catch 22 I think !!

6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Take them out and put them back in.

You don't want to be getting involved in the nonsense where you're not in control of the use of your printer ink. Never enrol in anything!

Laphroig likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well in theory a new cartridge now en route. I hope the previous one was just a dodgy one off ? I have options to cancel the instant ink of course. I hope it's not the printer- :confused:- as working fine until replacement - but I have the receipt if there is an issue. Thanks to responders

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I am currently trying an ASDA cartridge (12 quid) in my Canon Pixma. It works ok, did not give me the "empty" message that many sellers of recycled cartridges warn of. I'll see how long it lasts.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We have a Canon Pixma, but I never had any luck with Asda cartridges. Tried two, but they both wouldn't register as being full. Asda assured me they ought to have worked and refunded their cost. Maybe they've got their act together now.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:eek: You buy cartridges direct from the manufacturer?

11. Ivartheboneless

Other refillers say you have to hold down the reset button on the printer for five seconds to fool the computer into thinking they are full. This is a red button with a triangle in a circle. I am waiting to receive another one off ebay for ten quid to see how that goes. I am doing a lot of printing at the mo, trying to work out costs.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Whatever happened to the paperless society?

Peronally, I hardly ever use the printer at home, but can't avoid using the one at work. My sweetheart on the other hand, is always printing stuff.

She used to be into card making as a hobby and I dread to think how much that cost in ink cartridges. Printers too, because their mechanisms aren't up to feeding card through for long.

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes. It monitors when I next need them. I pay @ £24 a year - one will prob last me 12 months ...

14. Ivartheboneless

Sounds like a great little wheeze for HP! I wondered how it works when I look up printer specs. The ink is always the most expensive part. I think printer ink, per unit volume is more expensive than prize bull sperm! (Not that you can print with that though!)

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Minnie that's the exact same printer that Mr D has just bought. £60, but you can reclaim £30 through the HP website. Bargain.
    BUT, our computer chap couldn't get it to talk to the laptop when he came to set it up.* Thought it might be a fault with the printer, so Mr D exchanged it.
    Computer chap coming at 4pm to try again. We're in a signal blackspot, which doesn't help.
    £1.99 a month for ink is good - Mr D was paying more than that, previously.

* we're both technophobes

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No we have an ancient Sony PC and our son could not get them to talk to each other either. I just use my phone and I pad to communicate with it ....ha ! Ours was a Christmas present from my Mum. Had a Kodak prior to that ....

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That could possibly be part of the problem. If you print nothing for months on end the cartridges can dry up or the print nozzles dry up (something like that!) Most printers have a Maintenance tab somewhere in their settings where you can do a nozzle clean.

strawbs likes this.
  18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

All set up. Mr D a happy bunny. It scans and photocopies and all sorts.:)

minnie me likes this.
  19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I did print something about 4 weeks ago - yes it may be that too so something to consider

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Update - cartridge arrived yesterday and Houston we no longer have a problem :) !

nomad likes this.