1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOY application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by GREENSL, Oct 4, 2015.

1. GREENSL

GREENSL New commenter

does anyone have any advice or links to application help for the position of HoY?

All help will be gratefully received!

2. achapman87

achapman87 New commenter

Hi, I am currently Head of Year 11 at a secondary school. I think your focus depends on the job spec. Is it driven by academic success or by behavior/attendance etc? Ultimately, the job description will be what you are judged against so that's the place to start. My biggest advice (pre-interview and in the job) is know your key groups. Pupil Premium is a must, middle ability boys is a weakness almost everywhere, quiet achievers, behavior issues, poor attenders, SEN. Have a look at what intervention is already in place and have ideas how you can build on and develop. The best piece of advice I got was to go and speak to the people you would be working under (Head/Deputy/VP etc). They may be on the interview panel but there is nothing to stop you asking them question about the role and asking where to find certain info. They may not give it to but I would be surprised if they didn't point you in the right direction. After all, I expect all the applicants are internal? which means everyone has the opportunity to ask!

Hope you find this useful ...

3. GREENSL

GREENSL New commenter

There isn't a job spec which is causing me difficulties in writing my letter. Our HoY focus is becoming more and more academic and data lead which is by no means my strong point but I feel I need to show my interest in climbing the ladder. The behavioural/pastoral aspect is the route I would like to follow in the future however I do feel that this position already has someone's name on it. I am worried that if I don't show interest in this position I will be hindering my progress further down the line.

4. achapman87

achapman87 New commenter

No job spec? that's a tough call when you don't know what the school are expecting of you if appointed, How can you prepare adequately? I there isn't one, speak to the currents HOY or their line manager and get a feel for what they do. Believe me, its probably a lot more than you see/think they do. HOY is considered a 'middle management' role (or at least it is in the school I work at) so data is always going to play a significant role in the job. Data is all about the key demographic groups (mentioned above). What % are target A*-C. what's the predicted APS? are they making the right levels of progress? do their GCSE subjects set them up for the highest progress 8 score? We use 'GO for Schools' as our data management system which makes life relatively easy to find whole school/year group data that is needed and it breaks it down into the key demographics for you. If you aren't familiar with how or where to find it ask you data manager or current Head of subject or Head Teacher.

If your not 100% you want this job, you shouldn't go for it. You can forget ever planning or marking during school hours again! That will be taken with Intervention on behavior, attendance, progress etc. Having said that, if pastoral care is where your passion is, this is the job that will suit the best. I would hazard a guess that at least 90% of what I do is based around pastoral care. Don't get me wrong, academic progress is vital for the students but there will be countless other people monitoring that as well as you and if you highlight a problem, you would expect the HOS has already done something about it.

5. GREENSL

GREENSL New commenter

Many thanks for your input and suggestions. It's been a great help

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter