1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOY Application - HELP!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by seren256, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Does anyone have an example application letter that they could email me please?

Thanks

seren2@hotmail.com

2. Thank you for your reply....I had started to do what you'd written and it seems to be going ok at the moment!

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Do you have vast amounts of proof on the empirical evidence bit? Where does your research come from?
    Or are you just responding to hearsay from friends and colleagues who did not get interviews but were in your and their minds "great for the job"?
    Being able to write a letter of application and interview well is part of the job. You are being interviewed every day when you meet parents. Your ability to write coherently is an intrinsic part of the job. Both of these qualities can be evinced in the application procedure.
    It is a standard complaint from those who were not good enough to be obtain a senior position that the wrong people got the job. Rather than worry about others one should focus on ones own shortcomings and rectify them.
    Starting with the letter of application.

4. Fierygirl

Fierygirl New commenter

Let us know how it goes - we all have to learn to do this and sometimes it takes a while to get it right. It's always useful to get someone you trust to be honest with you to take a look at it - do you work with anyone who can do that for you?
    Fingers are crossed for you!

5. mmm. Maybe my written English skills aren't so hot. Me? A responsible post? Not likely. I wouldn't put me in charge of a hot chestnut stall on a cold Christmas Eve in Regent Street, let alone in a school.
    What I was saying was that schools have created and refined an interview process (that includes an all-important first hurdle of the application letter) that I have a firm suspicion has no basis in firm research (by the vast army of HR researchers the world over).
    I appreciate that communication (including letters) is paramount to the HOY job. BUT, does selecting a shortlist of candidates from applications get the right ones? Based on the large number of HOYs I have worked for, I have to think not.
    No. I am simply an agitator of smelly stuff. I used to ask our SLT why no job specs are issued on which, were the OP at my school, the OP would struggle to base a letter for an application for any post below AHT. Or why many jobs are not advertised at all, but a candidate simply appointed (at least twice to my knowledge without the 'successful' candidate even being told before it was leaked out to staff).
    And as to the comment 'the wrong people got the job.' They do. Often. But not from the angle that I (or some other moaning Minnie, as you might have put it) didn't get it (because I am not daft enough to apply and I am far too old), but that they do the job so badly you have to just shake your head and wonder, especially when you see the candidates that didn't get the job.
    But some are brill at the job. I have a fantastic HOY at the moment, who never applied for the post, and only found out they were HOY when I saw the tutor group lists for this year and told her. she had been a deputy HOY for a different year group. She simply said, 'Ah well, I suppose I can give it a go and see how I get on.'
    Curiously, as long as the HT makes the right choice, I am quite happy with this as I get a good HOY.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

On the other hand, an applicant who has 'lifted' their application by asking for examples on the internet is less likely to be any good than those who have made an effort for themselves, surely?

7. No. Original thought isn't necessary. As long as it is honest and accurate. Just think about all those standard letters that go home. Should a HOY make sure all are original? I find it very difficult to create from a white page, but find it much easier to start with what someone else has done, and then work at it to make it my own. I probably do more work that way, but I find it easier. Same with report writing. I have a formula (one sentence on this, one on that) approach, building what I have used before, and then re-write them.

8. Karvol

That's an interesting qualification for leadership.

9. All done and dusted - (and all my own work! - for those that were quite scathing in previous posts...yes I wrote it myself)
    Thanks to those who were actually supportive on this forum, as that is why I posted and what I thought it was here for, to support and share experiences.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You don't count as 'support' the giving of advice most likely to prevent you doing something daft, then? Only if it concurs with your first idea?
    Asking to see someone else's application is not a good idea at all. But presumably, what you mean by 'support' is that you should have been given such a thing?

11. Karvol

We did share experiences with you, namely that is pretty stupid to copy someone else's application letter and pass it off as your own.
    We supported you in as much we didn't wish to fail at the first hurdle when your application letter is one of many which all read the same.
    Now grow up a little and start thinking about what you are writing rather than just responding with hurt pride.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I look at hundreds of applications for jobs. The ones that are clearly copied and generic go in the bin. The advice offered here is good advice. It was supportive. It will have saved your application from going in the bin. Listen to people who've been looking at applications for years. They might not tell you what you want to hear, but their advice will be good.

13. Good to hear that lifted applications are spotted, and that the OP has written it themselves. After all, it's important to be able to apply with conviction in your own ability, there would be many more challenges if appointed. Applying for a new job is always nerve wracking (especially one with such responsibility as hoy), but achieving it on your own merit is much better - it's you who would actually have to do the job.