1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How's your school handling the single point entry...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by candyshrimp, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I'm worried about the extremely low numbers in sept in a very large nursery. Just wondered if anyone else's school has made any decisions or has any experiences of staffing issues in nursery?
    Our nursery will only be 1/3 full in September.

2. I'm worried about the extremely low numbers in sept in a very large nursery. Just wondered if anyone else's school has made any decisions or has any experiences of staffing issues in nursery?
    Our nursery will only be 1/3 full in September.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We offer all 3 year olds a place in nursery in September too. We have had a few late entries in the past, but this coming September, will have a full class with a waiting list. The first few weeks can be tricky (we get some extra bank staff in) but overall it's much easier than 3 points of entry and all the disruption that causes.

4. Thanks Leapyearbaby, that sounds better numbers-wise.
    Doesn't that mean you need a 1:4 ratio though as they are technically age 2 (EYFS rules)?

5. Leapyearbaby64

No because our nursery has only a F1 class. So they are all 3 when they start.

6. I just wonder Leapyearbaby64 if there are any pre-schools left in your area? I am worried that if our feeder school starts taking children into nursery early what will happen to us?

7. Leapyearbaby64

In our area ther it's unusual for a school to have a nursery. There are only 5 I can think of with nursery classes (out of 40 or so) and they each only do half days. There's also a local authority nursery school which offers morning and afternoon sessions. I can think of at least 3 well established pre-schools, one of which offers morning and afternoon sessions. Plus all the day-care places. Not too much of an issue at the moment. However, I think we are unusual in offering places for the whole academic year. It does work well though.

8. Sorry I'm still confused. We only have F1 in nursery too (separate F2 class)

We currently take children in as follows:
    3rd Birthday between April and September 2011 = start nursery September 2011
    3rd Birthday between September and December 2011 = start nursery January 2012
    3rd Birthday between January and March 2012 = start nursery Easter 2012

So we would normally still have the January starters for F2 with us in September for 1 more term but now we won't as they'll all be going up together. That leaves us with only a handful of children. We can't take them any earlier as they'll be 2 years old still.

Is it just that you have enough F1s to make a reasonably full class?
    Sorry I'm just struggling to get my head round it!

9. We will be in the same situation in September, hardly any F1 children, not sure what will happen we are a unit and the numbers are low in F2 too! Hope we can keep staff!

10. netmum

netmum New commenter

In the area where I live children start school nursery the September after they turn 3. In my LEA it is half days, in the neighbouring LEA where my nephew and neices go to school it is full days. The applications are dealt with by the LEA in the same way as reception class places. You apply by a given date and get told your allocation in March.
    I beleive it did have an effect on the pre-schools a few years ago

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Our playgroups all closed. There is an excellent one in the next village which survives because it also does daycare and is much nicer than the school nurseries. My boys' playgroup was also much nicer than the nursery but they couldn't face changing what they did (which was excellent - calm and not horribly over stimulating like the school one) to fit in with what Ofsted wanted.

12. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Does anyone really know what the opening question was about? Single entry point for who to what?
    Is it referring to the fact that most schools now take children into school reception class in September rather than staggering the entry according to birthdays through the year?
    If this is the question, this is something that started to happen many many years ago in many areas (at least eight years ago) so I'm feeling as though I am in a time warp.

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Previously school nurseries were funded by how many places they had available but this has changed and now funding will be given for how many children are actually attending. A nursery may have 52 places available but in September only 20 of those places are filled so the amount of funding given is less than half meaning staff may have to be deployed elsewhere or worse case lose their job until numbers increase in January / Easter...

14. Msz

15. Msz

because parents have the option of starting children at age 4 many older children will no longer be attending nursery (as you say many authorities have had a single intake for years) it is really the change in funding makes this an issue

16. netmum

netmum New commenter

I still don't get how that affects things.

Yes schools now start children the September after they turn 4 so the nursery too has a single entry in the September after they turn 3.

I can see how it affects playgroups as they will lose the 3 year olds earlier.

17. Msz

Nurseries don't have a single entry in September.

18. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Most of our LA nursery classes do have a single entry point too, ie September following 3rd birthday. The bigger issue for our schools will be if parents choose not to send their children to school in the September since schools now have to hold the place and cannot use the 'we dont hold places if not taken up in September'. For us this will mean possibly more reception age children in PVI settings and places possibly left empty for a term in schools. Reality is we dont know how many yet will take this option, it may not be many, we have yet to see.Plus I'm not sure how well informed parents are of this option.
    I think the issues are going to be different according to how your LA currently works.

19. netmum

netmum New commenter

Yes in my area and the next LEA the nurseries do all have a single entry point in September and have done for several years (my own daughter is 9 and it was in place when we were looking at nursery for her)

20. Leapyearbaby64

Our single point of entry only started 3 years ago. Before that, we had groups of children entering F1 every term and moving up to F2 every term. So F1 would always be full but F2 would start the year with approx 10 children and gradually build up. When the single point of entry to F2 was made policy in the LA, to keep our staffing stable, we made the decision to have single points of entry in F1 and F2. I've taught in both systems and I have to admit being happier with the single point of entry. I know that the LA run stand alone nurseries still continue with termly entries, but then they have morning and afternoon sessions so have many more children than we do.