1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How's your Mum getting on, Lara?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Quick update. Last Wed. really thought might be losing Mum and tonight, having got her on to a ward, started some treatment, as opposed to merely assessing her, she is bright and bushy tailed and starting to boss the nurses. So hopefully they'll want her to come home before the weekend, to free up a bed. (Still no information fro the hospital staff re her condition /status though).
    Thanks to everyone who's posted flowers/ statements of concern.
    PS Noticing you're staying with your Dad Theo, hopefully he's fully recovered from his fall last year!

2. Lara mfl 05

Just a quick update, for anyone interested.
    Well Mum is well physically and fully recovered in her body, but mentally she's a mere shell of what she was 3 week's ago.
    Have just left her in a Care Home for some respite care and she looked so sad. Mentally she seems to be shutting down. However it means I can get some rest and when I've recharged my batteries can then think about moving on from here.
    It's actually fortunate I haven't got a job at present!

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Thinking of you [​IMG] x

4. Sorry to hear this. Hope you are coping/finding things to make you smile x

5. Lara mfl 05

Well as you asked on another thread Theo, I'll provide a quick update.
    Mum is in a Home on a 28 day post hospital 'respite' and it became obvious when we had her at her own home for those 4 day that she didn't recognise her own home and at present needs 24 hour care with someone on call through the night.
    She was completely traumatised by the hospital stay and obviously with her age and the Alzheimer's may take longer to recuperate than the average healthy individual. 48 hrs after leaving hospital she came down with a chest infection, which has not responded to antiobiotics so she's now on a stronger one. We'll have to see if that helps her regain the position she was in before the hospital or whether we now have to consider placing her long term into a Home. Unless of course we see a dramatic turn around once we've sorted out all these infections.
    Thanks for asking.

6. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

7. Lara mfl 05

Not sure how to put in a link, but these are for you [​IMG]In the flower thread
    How sweet of you!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh Lara, it is all so hard for you!
    I speak for everyone on here when I say how very much we all admire you.
    Very, very best of wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Here here [​IMG] x

10. Lara mfl 05

Quick update.Obviously the stronger antibiotics are kicking in. Mum much more
    'normal' today rather than 'completely out of it and barely awake'.I
    do think she believes she is on holiday somewhere. Was really surprised
    to see us and asked if we had some holiday. She obviously knows she is
    somewhere not completely familiar and keeps commenting on the
    chandeliers and how posh everything is. (In fact the Home is where we
    had our wedding reception 30 odd years ago when it <u>was </u>a posh hotel.)
    Then
    the nice German-speaking care assistant came to ask her to 'come with
    him and have some tea' and she immediately picked him up on a (very) small
    grammar mistake. Best actual 'conversation' I've had with her in about a
    month now.